Steering Box Upgrade/Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Be sure and get a quality box. Ac Delco pitman and moog idler is fine. Moog pitmans are typically bout 1/4 turn off it seems.

I want to say the best boxes I know of are redhead but I'm not 100% on the brand I'd have to check.

I'd also swap for a 98 or newer gmt400 box, they have a tighter turn radius.

source unknown

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Be sure and get a quality box. Ac Delco pitman and moog idler is fine. Moog pitmans are typically bout 1/4 turn off it seems.

What do you mean by a 1/4 turn off?

I want to say the best boxes I know of are redhead but I'm not 100% on the brand I'd have to check.

http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

OP, check Amazon for an AC-Delco box. I got one for a fantastic deal with no core charge a year or two ago. I think it was re-manned in Mexico, but I was able to keep my original so I can eventually send it to Redhead.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean the steering wheel will be 1/4 turn from straight up when done.

An edit to my earlier statement of tighter radius: the newer boxes have a faster ratio taking fewer revolutions to achieve full turn.

source unknown

Last edited:

RATFOOD

Reaction score
I'd also swap for a 98 or newer gmt400 box, they have a tighter turn radius.

source unknown

Will the 98 box bolt right in ad a direct replacement on a 1990 c1500, or will I have to modify/ buy something else?

Thanks!

RATFOOD

Reaction score
Doesn't the 99 steering box have that EVO steering problem feature? I'll have to see if you can bypass it somehow. I would love to move the turn radius from my 97 Tahoe into my 90 c1500...