Steering box options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Who is "They"?

What you you mean by "the bolt"?

There is an easy adjustment for slack on these steering boxes. It's not the ONLY adjustment for slack. There is another slack adjustment that's a pain in the ass to make, and they have to BOTH be correct.

The steering shaft isn't (usually) the problem, the rag joint at the bottom is.

Amen, the internet has all kinds of examples of the gear mesh adjustment but almost nothing on the worm gear adjustment. I wonder how many guys are trashing their gear box trying to adjust the easy one not knowing how to do it right.

I bought a reman Delco box and had to adjust everything before it was right. Next time I'll buy a quality box from Lee Manufacturing, Benchworks or try Redhead. Well worth the extra money IMO.

Good post on how to properly adjust a worn box: http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/steering-box-adjustments.11794/

94_Z71

Reaction score
I replaced mine last year with a new OEM one. It took all the slack out of the steering. It's almost too responsive now, but I love it.

bjett

Reaction score
I would also like to know where you got the new OEM box? I haven't been able to find a new box. But I just installed a reman box from napa that was great while installing a new rag joint at the same time and the cognito motorsports kit.