Steering box options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
didnt realize that this was in the 4x4 section until now.

since this is a 2wd, is there differences? redhead makes good stuff, ive used them before. but I'm still left wondering about interchanges. gm wasn't known for changing things between models, especially mounting patterns, spline counts, etc. like the fact that an 01 zq8 s10 box bolted right in place of the factory manual box in a 64 chevelle, etc.

do we know if the obs used a specific/unique setup?

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is a quick ratio box better or worse for a lifted 2 door Tahoe with 33s on it?

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW. $300 dollars for a rebuilt steering box? Realistically, how much better is this Redhead box versus a new unit off the parts shelf? Is it worth the extra couple hundred bucks?
Yes its worth it. I bought a Advance Auto unit (Cardone I think)...loose, took it back, bought an AC Delco from Rock Auto...then ordered the RedHead. Sadly, too much time elapsed and I could not return the AC Delco plus in frustration I tried to adjust it voiding the warranty. I was about to give up. Got the Red Head and it is great. Play is gone. Yes its very expensive but worth every penny. I was going to get the quicker box but decided against it after discussing with RedHead as I have a 4WD with pretty big wheels and tires. I highly highly recommend spending the money. The other units made me feel unsafe to drive on the interstate.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is a quick ratio box better or worse for a lifted 2 door Tahoe with 33s on it?

Personally I would never put a quick ratio box in a 4x4 or any lifted truck. Quicker turn ratio plus higher center of gravity equals easier to flip. I know there are people who have done it, definitely not something I'd recommend though.

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saturn Vue electric steering... much like the 2014+ trucks

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

JohnDenver

Reaction score
I may need to replace my steering gear. Sometimes when I first start driving it is very hard to turn right, but if I power through something breaks loose and then it does fine. Not a great feature.

Anyway, if I’m replacing it already, I’m interested in upgrading. Redhead sounds great, but are there 2nd or 3rd rung aftermarket upgrades that are a bit cheaper? I don’t mind having the 3rd best.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What fits? S10 zq8? Trans am ws6? Jeep grand Cherokee? Are later trucks equipped with better boxes?

Truck already at 5/6, with 1 ton suburban sway bars. Reg cab stepside sport model.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee box WILL NOT fit a 4wd, I doubt it will fit a 2wd.

I have three JGC boxes in my garage, one is waiting to be installed in my '68 'Camino, the other two are "spares". I dropped the steering box out of my '88 K1500 expecting to slap in one of the JGC "spares", but the OEM steering gear is huge in comparison to the JGC. Different bolt pattern for mounting to the frame.

I do envy your sway bars. My truck has none, and I'd like that to change.

why change steering box? stock works fine.
Stock works "adequately". I don't necessarily want a faster ratio, but I'd sure like a bigger torsion bar for better road-feel.

That opinion may change when I upgrade the lower steering column shaft...
Because the stock box has excessive amounts of play?

Redhead makes the best boxes for these trucks but be prepared to pay a pretty penny.
Keep in mind that the damned rag-joint at the steering gear input is infamous for slop.

MAYBE all you need is the Jeep steering column shaft with U-joints instead of the rag-joint. As soon as I find one at a reasonable price, I'm adding it to my '88 K1500. The existing rag-joint is horrible. I have to herd the truck down the highway by bumping the steering from left to right in order to go straight. The steering gear is tight, as are ball joints, tie-rod ends, the idler arm, center link, etc. The rag joint is wiped-out.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
The Jeep Grand Cherokee box WILL NOT fit a 4wd, I doubt it will fit a 2wd.

I have three JGC boxes in my garage, one is waiting to be installed in my '68 'Camino, the other two are "spares". I dropped the steering box out of my '88 K1500 expecting to slap in one of the JGC "spares", but the OEM steering gear is huge in comparison to the JGC. Different bolt pattern for mounting to the frame.

I do envy your sway bars. My truck has none, and I'd like that to change.

Stock works "adequately". I don't necessarily want a faster ratio, but I'd sure like a bigger torsion bar for better road-feel.

That opinion may change when I upgrade the lower steering column shaft...

Keep in mind that the damned rag-joint at the steering gear input is infamous for slop.

MAYBE all you need is the Jeep steering column shaft with U-joints instead of the rag-joint. As soon as I find one at a reasonable price, I'm adding it to my '88 K1500. The existing rag-joint is horrible. I have to herd the truck down the highway by bumping the steering from left to right in order to go straight. The steering gear is tight, as are ball joints, tie-rod ends, the idler arm, center link, etc. The rag joint is wiped-out.

Beefier torsion bars from GM are tough to come by these days. I know of one aftermarket company that makes them $$$$$. Also, what you may notice as improvement through the steering wheel usually is an opportunity cost in overall comfort. The best steering wheel feel improvement I've made was replacing the rag joint. Too bad you can't use the JGC box on a GMT400 like you can on an old A body.

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
After I just replaced my suspension & steering on my '88 C2500, I noticed my steering a little bit of slop. They will disconnect both ends of the box & turn the bolt slightly, to take out the slack. Steering shaft is still good down to the box.

Pretty simple .... BUT... if that doesn't fix it, then I will consider a replacement.

But first, try the simple fix first.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After I just replaced my suspension & steering on my '88 C2500, I noticed my steering a little bit of slop. They will disconnect both ends of the box
Who is "They"?

& turn the bolt slightly, to take out the slack. Steering shaft is still good down to the box.
What you you mean by "the bolt"?

There is an easy adjustment for slack on these steering boxes. It's not the ONLY adjustment for slack. There is another slack adjustment that's a pain in the ass to make, and they have to BOTH be correct.

The steering shaft isn't (usually) the problem, the rag joint at the bottom is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wadectist2002