Steering box options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
May wind up in a 95 c1500 after insurance totalls my 64 el Camino.

Im used to good steering boxes, and have lately been using a lot of jeep grand Cherokee quick ratio boxes.

Anyway, a little research has me a bit confused about junkyard options for these trucks.

What fits? S10 zq8? Trans am ws6? Jeep grand Cherokee? Are later trucks equipped with better boxes?

Truck already at 5/6, with 1 ton suburban sway bars. Reg cab stepside sport model.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yep, I have a redhead quick ration box and love it, much better than stock and any quicker would almost be too responsive for a pickup

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WOW. $300 dollars for a rebuilt steering box? Realistically, how much better is this Redhead box versus a new unit off the parts shelf? Is it worth the extra couple hundred bucks?

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Yes it is much better, my father put 3 off the parts shelf units on from O'rielly and the labor alone after the 3rd one was enough to make him not worry about a few more dollars. The off the shelf units were tight, didn't re-center and 2 of them leaked. Once they gave him one that wasn't the 97-99 so it would not cut as fast or as sharp.

Last edited:

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i will look into that if i need to but luckil
Because the stock box has excessive amounts of play?

Redhead makes the best boxes for these trucks but be prepared to pay a pretty penny.
makes sense. i have seen it a few times. i was thinking more about the quick ratio vs stock turn ratio. but i totally see the bennefit of removing slop. i could see it helping with 4 wheeling tho