Starting my body lift, anyone who's done it before I have a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
In the steering column is one of the places i wouldnt advise rigging something, i would make sure its all the way in and use the correct bolt

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you can just get the tip of a screwdriver/punch into the bolt hole you might be able to pry it up carefully :shrug:

Yeah I'll give that a go. Hopefully it's just some gunk but the way it felt, it was symmetrical, one on each side so I dont know what that's about. that or my extension is too long and have a machine shop cut it a little bit down. Or grind the sides down.

I don't think i would beat that on........ Could very easily damage steering column bearings, and the cam system for the turn signals.........

Sent from somewhere in MN
yeah good thing I didn't go crazy on it haha

I believe you disconnect at the gas cap and add the extension up there, you can put the truck in gear and see if it rolls, if so parking brake is free

Oh yeah that's a good idea i didnt think about rolling it in neutral to see if it rolls. If it's activated a LITTLE bit does the parking brake light come on? I dont want to have it on like 25% and have around with it and start fish tailing or something lol

Hmm... I gotta double check the gas extension thing.

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry you seem to be having so much trouble with this... too bad no BL members were closer to you.

Yeah it's a learning process I just hope the steering extension can work that would be a big PITA if it doesn't. I called performance acccessories tech support and the guy wasn't very friendly. his suggestion was to go to the junk yard and get another steering shaft rod and replace it. I'm not doing that, at least not yet. I have no clue how to replace that thing, I'd rather grind it down like 1/2 millimeter on each side to get it fit. Back to trying to get it to work in a little bit.

I hope the fuel filler hose isn't full of gasoline or causes a big leak either.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Yeah it's a learning process I just hope the steering extension can work that would be a big PITA if it doesn't. I called performance acccessories tech support and the guy wasn't very friendly. his suggestion was to go to the junk yard and get another steering shaft rod and replace it. I'm not doing that, at least not yet. I have no clue how to replace that thing, I'd rather grind it down like 1/2 millimeter on each side to get it fit. Back to trying to get it to work in a little bit.

I hope the fuel filler hose isn't full of gasoline or causes a big leak either.

As long as your truck isnt topped off there wont be any fuel in the filler hose

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Little wire wheel attachment on a drill, stick it up in there and get er all clean, or grab a file and hit up that extension piece aswell as inside the column, but of course do all within moderation
Hopefully it works out for ya

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
I don't think i would beat that on........ Could very easily damage steering column bearings, and the cam system for the turn signals.........

Sent from somewhere in MN

Good point... did not think about that

In the steering column is one of the places i wouldnt advise rigging something, i would make sure its all the way in and use the correct bolt

agreed here.

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As long as your truck isnt topped off there wont be any fuel in the filler hose
Thanks, so I feel better about taking a hacksaw to the rubber hose. Should be no problem then.

Update: Got it to fit! Finally... I was going to get a dremel or rotary tool type of thing and just "sand" the edges down a bit. It really only needed like 1 mm shaved off either on the extension or inside the shaft. Inside the shaft I can feel a slight notch/bump on both sides which is what is blocking the extension from going all the way in. Anyway I went to to a local muffler shop and had them weld my shift linkage rod extension and I also brought the steering adapter with me and asked him if he can shave off a little on the sides. Did it for no charge. $15 to weld the extension and did the shaving of the steering piece too. Came home and it fits perfectly.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Just have to extend the fuel line, button up the bumper bolts and address the final 2 bolts in the bed that are giving me trouble and I'm good to go.