Standard or extended

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goodole93

Reaction score
Just a general opinion question and if it’s in the wrong place, I apologize.
Standard cab or extended cab? Your preference and why. Always had short standards, but have an opportunity to buy a very nice 96 2wd extended. Kinda nice but doesn’t have the feel, so which one and why?

Shane B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve got two ecsb so I’m kinda biased. I just enjoy the room, but if I had more parking space I would love to have a 454ss lol. I would say depending on age and life style, if it’s just you and a gf, get another regular cab. If you plan on family maybe a extended cab.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I like ExCabs far more. Room in the backseat (although small) for whatever. Need to haul 6 people? It'll do it although it's a tight fit. Want to be some audio nut? Got space for subs. Need to protect valuables? Shove them under the back seat. Having an ExCab in high school certainly made the other kids with GMT400 regular cabs jealous as well.

Regular cabs are good running around town trucks, like to Home Depot or the gas station. My RC has a 4.3 so it's good on mileage and perfect for that.

Personally, I like crew cabs more for a "family/fancy/presentable" truck. Lots of room. For long haul stuff I like crew cabs as well.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of longbed work trucks (I hate having to leave the tailgate open for 4x8 sheets). But I like parking lot maneuverability too, so to make up for the long bed, I lean towards the standard cab trucks, just to help keep the overall length down.

goodole93

Reaction score
All good answers. I actually have a 99 classic 2500 longbed work truck, a 93 Sierra short standard V8, and have a shot at buying this 96 clean extended cab. So maybe you can see my situation. Love the fit and feel of a standard but mine needs some tic. It’s a drive to work vehicle and we already have a suv and the wife’s Camaro convertible. Extended cab truck needs a few things too.

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
extended cab for the huge sound system, but i like reg cab look much better

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a regular cab long bed kinda guy but I like short(er) wheelbases so I've never really been into extended cabs. Love me a shortbed with a reg cab too but longbeds are more practical.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always been ext cab or crew cab guy but I always throw stuff everywhere in my trucks. If I had the spare cash and just needed a run around truck then rcsb would be fun but other then that I like the extra space

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I love the looks of a regular cab... But as a daily driver there's no way I could go back to one just because of the functionality of an extended or crew cab. Even though I don't haul people very, I don't think I'd want to go without the extra room.