Stainless Shorty Headers

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by TerrySmith, Oct 9, 2016.

1. TerrySmith

TerrySmith Newbie

I'm thinking of getting a set of these headers for my '88 ECSB 350 engine. I realize they are most likely Chinese made hence the cheap price, but they do look well made and supposed to be a drop in replacement for the stock manifolds. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...1-0e6c-4207-b08b-cc9492e60b0f&pf_rd_i=desktop

Also I plan to fab a Y-pipe with dual 2 1/2 cats into a flowmaster Y connector then into the 3" system already there. The future plan is to swap in a Vortec 350 long block with a TBI intake.

My question is has anyone had any experience with these Headers?

2. GaryCCR

GaryCCR OnlyBodyStyle enthusiast

I just was going to add my .02¢. Typically shorty headers will not free up much horsepower 8-10. They can be a pain to install, and also make it hard at access the spark plugs. They will also raise under-hood temps. They will likely not sounds very different.

I've not used the ones mentioned, but you'd probably be much happier with long tubes. I believe you can get long tubes for the 88-95 trucks for relatively cheap too.

Long tubes will raise under hood temps, make plugs hard to get to but the free up the most power and they sound way better.

I plan on getting long tubes for my truck soon. Good luck. Keep us updated.

WTTAHOE likes this.
  3. beardeddummy

beardeddummy I'm Awesome

I have shorty's now and wish I had went long tubes didn't gain much power at all. I know someone who bought some similar for dodge and didn't feel it was worth the pain of installation much less the price

4. Bondovw

Bondovw Newbie

I have used those headers a few times. They work pretty good and mine lasted about 5 years .

5. GMCTRUCKS

GMCTRUCKS I'm Awesome

I bought a set of mid length headers I still need to get around to putting them on I picked them up cheap there stainless.

6. fuzzypuppy

fuzzypuppy Newbie

Have these on my truck now, gaskets are crap, you'd do well picking some new ones up, but the pipes are pretty nice, welds look good, flanges are true.
    I wrapped mine with header wrap for for lower temps, I hear gab about the wrap rusting headers when they get wet so I went stainless, I leveled my truck and really the shorties (and wrap) stay pretty dry.
    Above all I highly recommend, locking bolts or drilling and wire locking standard bolts , otherwise you'll be re-torquing bolts and replacing gaskets, at least yearly probably more.
    Personally after 10k miles I like the setup, tired of stock manifolds cracking and wanted lower engine bay temps, wasn't looking for big HP gains so any extra was a plus, it was noticeable but not extreme. I have other mods that might have lent themselves to the equation.

7. whiplash473

whiplash473 Tyler

I don't have experience with these headers specifically but why would you go with shorties if you're planning on doing all that exhaust work? Considering the future plan is, more or less, a complete new exhaust system, why not go for full length headers and get the horsepower gain and the better sound?

8. trent

trent Newbie

I used JBA shorty headers on my '98 V6 which are also ceramic coated. While a bit more expensive, my truck runs cool but it still has stock exhaust so the sound hasn't changed. Seat of the pants dyno is negligible but a flowmaster or similar is in the future. Very easy to install on the V6

9. kennythewelder

kennythewelder I'm Awesome

I do not have these headers, but I have Summit shorty's. I like mine, but I also know before I installed them, what I was getting. The thing with stainless is, when I gets hot, it turns blue. I weld stainless, along with other metals for a living. I doesn't matter what you do to stainless, when it gets hot, it will turn blue. My headers, are black steel. I repainted them with VHT header paint. They have been on my truck for several years and they still look good. But I do agree with whiplash473, if you are going to all the trouble to do an exhaust swap, why not put long tube headers ? Also I recommend a good set of Felpro header gaskets, and you will need header bolts. One more thing to consider, stainless steel bolts, are a bad choice. Stainless steel tends to gall, so once the bolts are installed, then heated, and cooled over and over again, you may have trouble removing the SST bolts.

Bob L likes this.
  10. 1994chevymanual

1994chevymanual I'm Awesome

i used JBA and i am ahppy with them i changed my plugs and wires first too. Felt a little more acceleration not much..

kennythewelder likes this.