Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haahaa!... I Wish I could dedicate that money and time so completely... 15 years ago, it would've been... LOL.
I still havent found time to sandblast the '98 frame... our crappy, wet, then blisteringly hot weather hasnt helped... looks like much of this weekend will be a washout, into early next week... Bill, I'm far from being outta gas, just lots of other priorities, and irons in the project bonfire. Mind you, Im driving it everyday too, because my Caprice is down... That and child #2 is gonna be a daughter... God Help me!

I too will be putting in those Phillips lamps as one of mine burnt out yesterday. I'll take some pics this weekend.

Last edited:

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ps. Im still trying to find all of the parts. Amazing how many little bits are damn near impossible to find as NOS or replacement. I also am still trying to sort out my engine options, find a salvageable 91/92 k1500 engine harness to play with, and a '95 Caprice/Impala ECM & harness... Yeah, still leaning towards a Gen 2 LT1, but Im up against the same parts issue there. Lotta stuff is gone because so many PDs tried to maintain their '94-'96 9C1 Caprices well into the 2000s and the early C/K GMT400 parts bin is fairly depleted too.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I'm going to keep using my factory composite housings and I THINK most of the members who followed this thread agreed the Philips 9006 X-Treme Vision bulbs were the best to use for the low beams. Please let me know if I'm right. Thanks.

I started with the VisionPlus +60%, then just went to the Xtremes +100%.....Yup, way to go in my mind. Tho I wouldn't change out any Osram Nightbreaker +110% for them, if that's what I had.

The HIR high beams a just crazy bright....insane amount of light comes out of those......of course a harness is all the difference.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Ps. Im still trying to find all of the parts. Amazing how many little bits are damn near impossible to find as NOS or replacement. I also am still trying to sort out my engine options, find a salvageable 91/92 k1500 engine harness to play with, and a '95 Caprice/Impala ECM & harness... Yeah, still leaning towards a Gen 2 LT1, but Im up against the same parts issue there. Lotta stuff is gone because so many PDs tried to maintain their '94-'96 9C1 Caprices well into the 2000s and the early C/K GMT400 parts bin is fairly depleted too.

I often wonder about a drop and swap from a Vette powered Buick Roadmaster.....

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I started with the VisionPlus +60%, then just went to the Xtremes +100%.....Yup, way to go in my mind. Tho I wouldn't change out any Osram Nightbreaker +110% for them, if that's what I had.

The HIR high beams a just crazy bright....insane amount of light comes out of those......of course a harness is all the difference.
Thanks Bill. I don't really NEED better lights since I rarely drive the truck at night. Actually I hardly drive the truck at all. It's a 1991 C1500 rcsb and it just went over 49,000 miles last month. But with all the deer running around here and recently coyote's, better lights seem like a no brainer. I want to get the wiring harness and HIR's too but medical issues ( thanks PTSD ) are keeping me from spending too much money for now. Hope things at your new job and apartment are still going good.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These B-Body LT1s have very thickly cast iron heads, (unlike stock L31 Vortecs and earlier LO5 350s). Walk through a boneyard and pull L31 heads... most will end up being cracked... Very uncommon on LT1 iron heads. They also differ from the aluminum Vette/F-Body heads in that those things are kinda based on their "fast-burn" combustion chamber design. The '94-'96 iron LT1 heads have a combustion chamber that is quite similar to the '95- up Vortec combustion chamber. Being that the all-iron LT1 is pretty damn impressive with a nice big and broad torque curve... The LO5 and its thin-cast swirl port heads... good by early 1980's smog standards, but they are examples of GM cutting corners for profit..."KaaKa".

Kinda made a lot of sense for Chevy to utilize that iron LT1 combustion chamber design for the Vortecs.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotta show you what my son installed for me today on my old beater,
You must be registered for see images attach

What is attached to the other end?

This

We did have to order the front license plate hardware because Michigan doesn't have a front plate, I ordered the wrong and but with a small amount of trimming it worked. They sell two styles of that mount, one with the rubber cushion on the bumper and one without. The Amazoo seller didn't show or say the difference so I got the wrong one. What pissed me off the most, was while my son was installing it, one of the brackets looked like this, I left less than a glowing review, so I wonder if it will even get posted, or for not long. He 'fixed' it but it's just the idea of it.

Anyway a couple of pictures of what I'll see behind the wheel,

Dims

Brights

Last edited:

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had to start another post, max pics,

Anyway just it,

Mine and his sitting in our front yard, he hooked his up so when he turns on his 'fog' lights the light bar comes on too.

Those light bars are these. I hope the link works correctly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WE47FVM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We checked his with the engine running, just a little over 6 amps draw.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
seems to be a pretty dang good light N8.....the bad reviews will stay on as long as they written decent and don't have curses and racial slurs......mine is still up about those **** amber PAR 36 lamps i got from Amazon.

my concern is that that "bar" ges on with the fog lights.....doesn't that defeat the fogs?