Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
hmmmm....that's a good find......that's a SERIOUS little light.

Available in Spot, Hyperspot, Flood, Diffused and Driving beam patterns.......i'd be interested in seeing the driving pattern.......that would be a real nice option for Harley riders, the only one available is the Speaker for Harley light.

Beam patterns here:

http://www.rigidindustries.com/sites/default/files/flipbook/index.html?page=84
I see that they also have some 'new' SAE and E code compliant lights. From what I read they were purchased by Truck-lite.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/trucklite

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rigid Industries was bought out? Wow! They make some pretty rugged LED lights. I looked into one for my trusty-old 7hp Ransomes Bob-caT snowthrower...

No real comparison between the real ones and the chinese knockoffs that appear to be the same, but are far from it.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just read that link Michael, ...done in 2015, & a subsidiary of Penske Corp. Good company, and "Both Truck-Lite and Rigid Industries take pride that their products are designed, engineered, and manufactured in the USA."

Thanks for the info!

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Just read that link Michael, ...done in 2015, & a subsidiary of Penske Corp. Good company, and "Both Truck-Lite and Rigid Industries take pride that their products are designed, engineered, and manufactured in the USA."

Thanks for the info!

Drawing on the testing requirements that Truck-lite already had experience in meeting, expect to see good things from Rigid in the future, including more SAE / ECE compliant lighting.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Rigid Industries was bought out? Wow! They make some pretty rugged LED lights. I looked into one for my trusty-old 7hp Ransomes Bob-caT snowthrower...

No real comparison between the real ones and the chinese knockoffs that appear to be the same, but are far from it.

Right. Buy once, cry once. There is no substitute for quality, as you have seen Cibie made some fantastic halogen lighting products decades ago, and the optics are still top shelf compared to some of the 'crap' on the market these days.

For those that say the wanna-be light from China 'works' the same as a Rigid, that is a false statement that is widespread. It is true, they both will make 'some' light. Without instrument testing, it's false to say they 'work' the same.

Not the same durability of lens, questionable driver circuitry and soldering, LED quality, both in "binning" ( matching ) and output, optics and beam pattern that are a joke. Housings that are painted, compared to quality powder coated housings. Most chinesium lights have no connector, no wiring kit or switch that Rigid includes in the pair kits.

Last edited:

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Indeed! indeed! Tis too true. I read many threads in other forums that swore up and down that the Chinesium ones were great, provided you "fixed" all the issues and siliconed them closed. Ive also watched a bunch of You Tube videos testing out cheapo LED lights... in fact, thats how I was led to "AvE". Cant find the video now, but he broke down how they work using an oscilloscope... pretty cool and IIRC, this video was linked earlier.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

As Id said in some of my initial posts to this thread, I began my own LED info quest with wanting to put a light on my old Bob-caT snowthrower a few years ago. Despite their power, advanced designs, durability, and HD commercial intent, its sorta funny that they never equipped them with a light option... (sad story about the company).

It was an interesting journey researching how LEDs work and took even more research to figure out how to make my old Briggs 7hp 707-series run an accessory light. Took awhile to investigate, and then find all of the right parts. I did all of the electrical upgrades, including adding an electronic ignition, but have yet to buy a light... partially because of the layout of things, Im still working out how to mount a light that isnt obstructed and doesnt cause an interference with operation.

Here a couple other interesting videos; albeit, not automotive, but still relevant to LEDs and Chinesium Death Adders. These two brits have an extensive collection of videos about cheapo LEDs.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Beam patterns here:

I see that they also have some 'new' SAE and E code compliant lights. From what I read they were purchased by Truck-lite.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/trucklite

Now that Spectre drive light looks very promising......even though i'm not into that color, it may be a great "fill" lamp for the Cibie high beam...only one way to tell though....

Mayhaps someone will have a YouTube video on it...

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well... I just wanted y'all you know, you made me a believer. Put my relay in and got it all wired up. It's definitely pretty noticeable of a difference in pattern/beam/throw of these lights. I'm rather impressed. Thanks guys. When I get the chance to buy my high beams I'll get another harness wired for them too. I'm running 14 gauge from battery to lights. Everything is plug and play and has 9006 male plugs at the lights and a female plug at my input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk