Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
ok....so 5 years ago i bought my first bagger, a 1995 Road King.....and the first bike i've ever owned without a kick starter.....it's also the first to have auxiliary lights on front.......and as i've said i hate the clear lens modern looking **** everyone craves......but finding a decent LIGHT in that PAR36 size s and has been difficult.....even Daniel stern said to not bother trying and go for a good conspicuity lamp in the amber 40* sealed beam flavor.......i guess you know i'm stubborn by now.

i told ya i installed aux lights on my Dyna......

i searched and searched for a "fog" type lamp over the 30W pieces that are generally available. i even found 100W spots made for police bikes....but that's NOT what i want......i did find something i rolled the dice on.

i'm sure i'll hear crap about it.....it IS possible to have another LMC bumper let down debacle, but i'm a-gonna-try-em any-******-way.

i found this kit and read some reviews.
You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.amazon.com/KC-HiLiTES-4...1875&sr=1-1&keywords=KC+HiLiTES+Apollo+5"+fog

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
also looked at the schematic for the kit and found replacement lenses.....and it's a glass lens too.....i doubted thet reinvented the wheel for these lights.....the 5" is the OD of all the plastic ****......just like they say their SIX inch lights....they don't SAY PAR46......why would they want you to put a Cibia 5 3/4" headlight in there?

this isn't rocket science......but Harley aux/spot/passing lamps suck.....and i won't put in a JW Speaker R2D2 LED.

these take n H3 bulb....rather odd for this size lamp.....stock Harley's now come with a 27.5W 881 bulb.....up-gradable to a 37W 896(if ya figure that out).

i think i'll be trying my selective yellow 55 watt bulbs.....i got them from Candlepower, remember?

and no "made in china" stickers.....i read they're American made too.....the box says so.........:frown:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i just had an hour long phone conversation with gmachinz. was great to "meet" the guy and get to know him some. i hands down made the right choice in asking him to do this truck harness. he's an expert at what he does and how he goes about doing it. that i can say with conviction.

he'll be sourcing the proper parts for my bike harnesses....he's agreed to build them for two of my Harley's......this is how i like to do things......on a personal level with someone that's passionate about what they do.

super duper uber ****** cool.......

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
also looked at the schematic for the kit and found replacement lenses.....and it's a glass lens too.....i doubted thet reinvented the wheel for these lights.....the 5" is the OD of all the plastic ****......just like they say their SIX inch lights....they don't SAY PAR46......why would they want you to put a Cibia 5 3/4" headlight in there?

this isn't rocket science......but Harley aux/spot/passing lamps suck.....and i won't put in a JW Speaker R2D2 LED.

these take n H3 bulb....rather odd for this size lamp.....stock Harley's now come with a 27.5W 881 bulb.....up-gradable to a 37W 896(if ya figure that out).

i think i'll be trying my selective yellow 55 watt bulbs.....i got them from Candlepower, remember?

and no "made in china" stickers.....i read they're American made too.....the box says so.........:frown:

Par 36 you say?

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/62110

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
at least you have a mind.......how's work?
it's good. can't complain. more money would be nice....
here's a couple of vids i took on the Iphone in slo-mo. first is an LED light outside. i like the white color and brightness. lights up the area that had shadows using incandescents. not sure what the FPS is.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
here's a ball of LED tree lights. same phone and speed.
uploaded in HD.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
it's good. can't complain. more money would be nice....
here's a couple of vids i took on the Iphone in slo-mo. first is an LED light outside. i like the white color and brightness. lights up the area that had shadows using incandescents. not sure what the FPS is.
here's a ball of LED tree lights. same phone and speed.
uploaded in HD.

LED headlamp flicker can be a result of PWM circuits on some vehicles, there was mention in the Jeep forum linked. Unlike vehicles in the past, there is no direct connection from the headlight switch to the headlamps, a computer or module controls them.

Also to consider, the frame rate in the camera will cause artifacts in videos that are not nearly as visible to the naked eye.