Sound deadening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't used either but I've heard great things about the dynamat and when I get around to it ill be putting in my trucks

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I'm looking into some sound deadening for my 99 Suburban. This will be down the road, but I'm researching now. Has anyone used the Eastwood brand X-mat Sound deadening?

http://www.eastwood.com/x-mat-underhood-and-headliner-51x39x1-4.html

Or should i just stick with Dynamat brand when I do the roof and doors? Input is appreciated. Thanks

Haven't used Eastwood, limited experience with Dynamat, however I have used other brands of panels.

I will give you the short and long of it:

Cleaning and preparation of the surface is essential to any of the peel and stick products. A small roller applies more pressure to the part, getting that essential bond.

Remove any dust and use a two cloth system for wiping the panel with a paint prep solvent is a good idea. Cutting the panels into smaller, easier to work with pieces is best when dealing with deep formed panels or a complex shape.

A heat gun is an essential tool.

If you want increased thermal performance on the roof panel in addition to reducing sound transmission, you could apply a 1/4" bubble insulation with a urethane adhesive. [ instead of $$ on peel and stick panels ]

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-48-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-BP48025/100052556

Sikaflex 221 is a moisture cure urethane adhesive that has a high viscosity suitable for such an installation. Butter up one side of the insulation and stick it to the roof panel. Apply aluminum HVAC tape to edges and joints.

I have about 4 tubes of Sikaflex in each of my doors, along with a few on the roof and back cab wall. Thermal emissions in the winter are low, in fact with the heat on high, snow does not melt off the roof panel when the vehicle is stationary.

Closing the doors is reminiscent of an old 70's Cadillac.

karl02

Reaction score
I also heard great things about the Lizard Skin, but it is quite expensive.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't used Eastwood, limited experience with Dynamat, however I have used other brands of panels.

I will give you the short and long of it:

Cleaning and preparation of the surface is essential to any of the peel and stick products. A small roller applies more pressure to the part, getting that essential bond.

Remove any dust and use a two cloth system for wiping the panel with a paint prep solvent is a good idea. Cutting the panels into smaller, easier to work with pieces is best when dealing with deep formed panels or a complex shape.

A heat gun is an essential tool.

If you want increased thermal performance on the roof panel in addition to reducing sound transmission, you could apply a 1/4" bubble insulation with a urethane adhesive. [ instead of $$ on peel and stick panels ]

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-48-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-BP48025/100052556

Sikaflex 221 is a moisture cure urethane adhesive that has a high viscosity suitable for such an installation. Butter up one side of the insulation and stick it to the roof panel. Apply aluminum HVAC tape to edges and joints.

I have about 4 tubes of Sikaflex in each of my doors, along with a few on the roof and back cab wall. Thermal emissions in the winter are low, in fact with the heat on high, snow does not melt off the roof panel when the vehicle is stationary.

Closing the doors is reminiscent of an old 70's Cadillac.
Thanks Michael. I'd wondered if there was an equivalent or better I could use from a home improvement store, but didn't know what to look for. What you've described sounds more along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Did you use any of the insulation on your doors or just the SikaFlex?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Thanks Michael. I'd wondered if there was an equivalent or better I could use from a home improvement store, but didn't know what to look for. What you've described sounds more along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Did you use any of the insulation on your doors or just the SikaFlex?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yes, I have two layers of the bubble insulation on the inside of the outer skin with the Sikaflex. When I did my doors, they were completely stripped.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used Dynamat on the doors, side panels and headliner. Really made an improvement, but I also yanked the stock radio and speakers went with Kenwood head unit and Polk speakers, so it wasn't all Dynamat related...

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used FAtmat in all my doors, floors, and back panel. haven't done my roof yet