So I had coolant spewing all through passenger side of my cab, help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JODiE_DLN

Reaction score
Hey guys, me again lol, was driving home from the gas station and noticed coolant gushing through the cab from under the passenger side of the dash, and in the engine bay, completely drained the reservoir, I pulled the plastic cover (under the passenger side of the dash) off and can see a hise running from where it connects in the engine bay, to what looks like the heater, the coolant seemed to be gushing from that hose, is this a common failure? Does anyone have experience with this kind of failure, or any advice?
Cheers!

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like your heater core decided to give up the ghost.. time to replace it... you can bypass it for know if need be as its getting to be warmer out now. Just take both hoses off the heater core ports at the firewall and connect them together. That'll give you time to get the part and let you replace it when you have the time nut will let you still drive it. It will not hurt anything at all...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

JODiE_DLN

Reaction score
Sounds like your heater core decided to give up the ghost.. time to replace it... you can bypass it for know if need be as its getting to be warmer out now. Just take both hoses off the heater core ports at the firewall and connect them together. That'll give you time to get the part and let you replace it when you have the time nut will let you still drive it. It will not hurt anything at all...

Legend! Thank you! I will by pass it for the time being, its cool anyway, i live in New Zealand, and where i live it doesnt snow! So even better, thank you for your reply!

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Legend! Thank you! I will by pass it for the time being, its cool anyway, i live in New Zealand, and where i live it doesnt snow! So even better, thank you for your reply!
Your very welcome....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It may be tricky to find in NZ but there's a simple plastic coupler that has each hose size on it, perfect for looping the heater core hoses without having to cut or hack anything. Pretty sure Dorman Products #47080 is what you need, it's 5/8" and 3/4" - costs about $3 here.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

JODiE_DLN

Reaction score
It may be tricky to find in NZ but there's a simple plastic coupler that has each hose size on it, perfect for looping the heater core hoses without having to cut or hack anything. Pretty sure Dorman Products #47080 is what you need, it's 5/8" and 3/4" - costs about $3 here.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
Thank you!! I'll see if i can hunt one down locally, if not I'll just bring one in! Thank you!

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Isn't replacing the heater core a pretty cheap fix? I seem to remember that there isn't much to replacing it and not a very expensive part. Someone please correct me if I remember this wrong. Here is a decent video on how to do it. By the time you go to the trouble of bypassing it you could replace the sucker and have done with the problem.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's not too bad and no, not expensive. But if you're not in immediate need of the heater, shorting the hoses with that $3 part takes literally just a couple minutes. Ideally one already has that piece in the toolbox (I do) and slap it in there to get you by until you can take time to replace the core. Rushed heater core replacements usually end up with the cover busted all to crap because you forget there's that one hidden screw against the firewall, or it hangs up trying to come down and cracks. Trust me I've seen a lot of broken ones. Heater core on a GMT400 is one of those jobs that half the time it's cake, the other half you want to kick puppies..

Richard