Slowburb's slow 'burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Who did you get your tranny from? How do you like it?

And did the cam/spring/retainer upgrade make a noticeable difference?

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Who did you get your tranny from? How do you like it?

And did the cam/spring/retainer upgrade make a noticeable difference?

The transmission is from " transbuilderguy ", who is a fella from the interwebz with a transmission shop in FL. He has a very good reputation on lots of different message boards, and was good to deal with. Some nuances made my order a little different than most, and made it take a little longer than most to complete, and I wound up with way more transmission than I needed by the time it was all said and done as a result. The guy knows his stuff and is very "stand up" if you know what I mean.

The engine absolutely makes more power with the cam I stuck in it. It is noticeable everywhere. In the grand scheme of aftermarket camshaft profiles, this one is dinky, like itty bitty, and possibly doesn't even qualify as aftermarket because it is a GM part. It has a few degrees more intake and exhaust duration, a tad more lift, and a little tighter lobe separation angle. These specs lend themselves to increased power, without sogging out the bottom end, as the intake/exhaust durations are still short enough to have no adverse affect on low speed torque. Midrange power has substantially increased. I'm sure that when I have the engine retuned, and finish the exhaust system, I will feel another very noticeable power increase. This is not a toy, it is my daily driver, which performs grocery getting and kid hauling, and spends a lot of time in bumper to bumper traffic @ 120° summertime temps with front/rear AC blaring. If not for these criteria, I would have stuck in a bigger cam. perhaps along the lines of the ZZ4 cam.

Last edited:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
How bad is the axle wrap with 6" blocks?

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
How bad is the axle wrap with 6" blocks?
There are two blocks on each side under there. One is an angled 4" RCX block and the other is a 2" factory NBS block. Stacked blocks are not great in the extreme duty 4 wheel drive world. I do zero hardcore 4x4ing with this rig. On street duty, even with spirited driving, I notice no axle wrap.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Some updates:

New ceramic pads for front brakes.
Rear brakes have been gone through; wheel cylinders, shoes, drums, and a rear rubber line.
Also a new master cylinder.
New serpentine belt, new fuel filter.
Fresh 4 wheel alignment.
Nitto Terra Grappler G2's in 295/70/18. They ride with a lot more manners than the Duratracs I was running before. They don't hum, and don't make the truck seem to float and wander down the interstate. The truck feels way more stable at 75+ mph now.
I now have detent roller pins in the front doors so they don't just swing freely.
New speakers everywhere, all 4 doors and the overhead 4x10's in the rear cargo area. These work well with the used/"new to me" Pioneer bluetooth head unit I scored a few months ago.
GMT800 power tow mirrors, the black ones without side marker lights, and without defrosters.
Dual 9011 HIR headlight bulbs. These kick serious ass.

Upcoming work:
Alternator upgrade from 105 amp stocker to ???
4hi wiring
Rear driver side door lock actuator
Auxiliary backup lights
Somehow repair peeling clearcoat on roof
Re-tint for front door glass