Situation with my CATs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ace37

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay don’t flog me here, just asking questions. For starters, I don’t live in an emissions county and will keep my flowmaster 40 on. The gasket that’s behind my second cat has hardened almost like steel and I can’t remove it so I was thinking of just welding pipe in place of the gasket but now interested in something else. I want to try and put pipe in place of both my cats. Please don’t legal talk me, just looking for a solution that’ll help sound too. I’ve done work on my own exhausts before but the bends in this system seem to frustrate me. Could I sawzall both the cats off and put pipe in or are the bends too close? Not near my truck at the moment and don’t have a lift so when I go under I’m going to work. Thanks in advance.

You must be registered for see images attach

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trash em and never look back. Can't really see what you're working with in the pic but weld it however you can get to it.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's really ruff to get a welder up in there to weld pipe in place of them. I was able to get 1 easily but the other I could not get the welder tip in there enough to get a good weld all around.

If your just gonna ditch them I'd just go ahead and upgrade the entire pipe. Jegs sells a off road pipe without cats and it's 2.5" instead of the small 1.75 stock pipe. It's like $178, bolts up to stock manifolds and has O2 sensor bungs for the front O2's. And has the flange plate to bolt up to the back half of the stock exhaust.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took a 4" hole saw to the bottom of mine gutted the cat and just welded the circle back in. Visual inspection shows the cat.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took a 4" hole saw to the bottom of mine gutted the cat and just welded the circle back in. Visual inspection shows the cat.
Pretty good idea. Even though he doesnt need to pass and inspection it would save welding all the way around a pipe still in the truck

Ace37

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well think I’m gonna lower the exhaust and work from there, I have custom piping and flow masters from the flange back so don’t want to mess with that. Pretty sure my cats are clogged too anyway. I would go the jegs route but was looking for more of a diy and cost friendly thing. Really hate how Chevy put the cats in two very bad spots for users. Really would rather run two pipes back from each manifold down with two flow masters but that’s new hangers and all

Ace37

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need an opinion. Anybody running no cats and no muffler? That flange gasket after the cats is really pissing me off. Gonna cut it right after that bend on the rear cat and get some universal pipes or turndowns to the passenger side about between the front and rear door.