shorty header options

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by magimerlin, Mar 3, 2016.

1. magimerlin

magimerlin I'm Awesome

Yes I've read the many many threads on this already...lol.. I've got a 94 k1500 5.7 auto... manifolds are cracked so gonna go with headers.. I will not be changing y pipes.. so I am looking at shorties
    so with that said....\
    what are y'all using.. actually using... I know what shows to fit but i need real world(I used this or that and here's my thoughts on them) options from people that have actually used and or are using a set.. I want the good and the bad options..would rather stay in the 200-300 range.. let me know what ya'll are running and if you like them or not. did you have to modify anything at all....blah blah blah....lol you get the idea..

Thank you

2. jkeaton

jkeaton I need a beer.

I want to know as well.

3. superdave

superdave Proud NOOA Member

I hear you on not replacing the y-pipes, but look at these pics I took of mine when it came off when I did my headers. There are a lot of opinions on shorties (good and bad), but after looking at these pics, I'd have to say the stock y-pipe is as big of a restriction as the stock manifolds.

Just food for thought.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pipe has an ID of about 1 5/8" in the bends.

4. df2x4

df2x4 Domestics only.

I'm running PaceSetter shorties on my red truck. I like them, and they're about as cheap as you can go. Had to make a small cut on the flange to clear the coolant temp sensor, but I'm pretty sure that was a V6 specific fitment issue and they've since fixed it.

They've been on for quite a few years now and the only issue I ever had was a header gasket leak on the passenger side. I blame the SCE copper gaskets I used, though. Switched to standard FelPro when I fixed that and never had another problem.

5. michael hurd

michael hurd Stalker be gone.

Using a quick and dirty calculator, the above picture with the 1 5/8 pipe should flow enough for 92 hp per bank, and is a 'slight' restriction.

However, I am sure GM did all the calculations to keep the exhaust velocity high enough, and retain enough heat to maintain proper catalytic converter operation. Most trucks are tuned for low speed engine operation.

6. Overclocked_4X4

Overclocked_4X4 I'm Awesome

7. jkeaton

jkeaton I need a beer.

Those look pretty good. I would assume you would ditch the supplied gaskets and buy your own, better ones?

8. Overclocked_4X4

Overclocked_4X4 I'm Awesome

For sure, and the bolts too. I'm sure stainless eBay headers aren't the best thing ever but I've heard they last a long time and sound decent.

9. df2x4

df2x4 Domestics only.

I'm not sure I would trust that those eBay headers are actually stainless at that price. More likely chrome-looking Chinesium.

jkeaton likes this.
  10. superdave

superdave Proud NOOA Member

On a header, to me one of the most important things is the thickness of the flange that bolts to the head. The thicker, the better. Most el-cheapos have flanges about 1/4 inch thick, which are prone to leaks.