shorty header options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I've read the many many threads on this already...lol.. I've got a 94 k1500 5.7 auto... manifolds are cracked so gonna go with headers.. I will not be changing y pipes.. so I am looking at shorties
so with that said....\
what are y'all using.. actually using... I know what shows to fit but i need real world(I used this or that and here's my thoughts on them) options from people that have actually used and or are using a set.. I want the good and the bad options..would rather stay in the 200-300 range.. let me know what ya'll are running and if you like them or not. did you have to modify anything at all....blah blah blah....lol you get the idea..

Thank you

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I hear you on not replacing the y-pipes, but look at these pics I took of mine when it came off when I did my headers. There are a lot of opinions on shorties (good and bad), but after looking at these pics, I'd have to say the stock y-pipe is as big of a restriction as the stock manifolds.

Just food for thought.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

The pipe has an ID of about 1 5/8" in the bends.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm running PaceSetter shorties on my red truck. I like them, and they're about as cheap as you can go. Had to make a small cut on the flange to clear the coolant temp sensor, but I'm pretty sure that was a V6 specific fitment issue and they've since fixed it.

They've been on for quite a few years now and the only issue I ever had was a header gasket leak on the passenger side. I blame the SCE copper gaskets I used, though. Switched to standard FelPro when I fixed that and never had another problem.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Using a quick and dirty calculator, the above picture with the 1 5/8 pipe should flow enough for 92 hp per bank, and is a 'slight' restriction.

However, I am sure GM did all the calculations to keep the exhaust velocity high enough, and retain enough heat to maintain proper catalytic converter operation. Most trucks are tuned for low speed engine operation.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Those look pretty good. I would assume you would ditch the supplied gaskets and buy your own, better ones?

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For sure, and the bolts too. I'm sure stainless eBay headers aren't the best thing ever but I've heard they last a long time and sound decent.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure I would trust that those eBay headers are actually stainless at that price. More likely chrome-looking Chinesium.