Shopping for a 400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I currently own a 92 K1500 which I love, but I need something bigger to tow with.

So, as these trucks are getting more difficult to find in decent condition, I may be forced to pick up one of the 6.5 TD's. I've never owned a diesel, but I've only heard bad things about these motors. Are they really that bad, or are the Powerstroke and Cummins just that much better?

Keep in mind I don't really want a diesel, I'd rather have a 454 gas, but like I said I don't want to pass something up if it's not something to be completely avoided.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Everyone I've ever known who's had a 6.5 has ended up hating it for one reason or another.

I'm sure most people on here will tell you the same.

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, just from reading what others have said I should probably steer clear.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You're in the same market I am. I'm off to look at a 454 Vortec dually later. I suspect it's less clean than I want, but the price is right so hopefully it's not trashed. I'd prefer a big block to hold me over until I 8.1 or Cummins swap it, but if it's clean and the price is right I'll take whatever. Gotta be patient though because most are pretty beat.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I'm eyeing a 454 shortbed with 88K in the next state to me, so I understand it's getting hard to find a clean 3/4 ton,
If you wind up with a Vortec 350, there's a ton of mods performance wise you can do that will boost it up to a little under 454 power, and still retain decent gas mileage.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can vouch for the small block, but at this point I'm after modded big block power. OP what are you trying to pull? I want to haul a slide in and my 8500# trailer so a small block is out of the question for that.

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Grand Design 2800BH that grosses out at either 7500 or 7700 depending on which build sheet your looking at. I towed it around all spring with my wife's 05 Tahoe. It was legal, but barely. I weighed at the scale, and I came in at about 12,900 gross combined, which is about 100 lbs shy of my GCWR for that truck.

Pulling was not the best, but sufficient on level terrain. Forget it in the hills, though. Not to mention that short wheel base for a 32' trailer.

My truck is a 92 Z71, F44 RPO (heavy half ton), and it is just shy of being legal unfortunately. I'd much rather just put some money into my truck and tow with it.

I need either a pre-Vortec 2500 with a 350, or any 454 . The tow ratings dropped off for the 2500's with the 350 after they changed over to Vortec in 96. So basically, I need my truck with a 2500 badge and 8-lugs because it's already got the brakes and 3.73 gears...

The tow rating for mine is 7,000, and the 2500's for the same year is 8,500. That's with 4.10 gears though.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Regardless of what the book says, a Vortec will out pull non Vortec all day long. Nothing else about the trucks got weaker. There is another legit document from GM that posted higher tow ratings for the 8 luggers than what was published in the owner's manual. I'll be damned if I can remember where I saw it. Johnny Law won't know your tow rating, only your GVWR/GAWRs and the tire ratings printed on the sidewall.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
My trucks GVRW rating on the door is 8600 lol.

To the OP, get a big block truck. I have a small block 3/4 with 3.73's, and it is fine what what I pull, an 18' car hauler or a 6x12' enclosed. It's ok. It's not great. It's acceptable. Adequate. Scrapes by the bar lol.

I'll probably swap a big block into my truck in the next year or so.

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will vouch for the 6.5L, it makes a wonderful towing rig IMO.

Mine have been to California and back, 21K combo both ways, up and down Donner Pass.

Mine are 5 speed though. I wouldnt attempt some of the loads I do with a stock 4L80E truck. Not so much HP wise, just heat loading.