Shocks, Tires, and Tie rods.. oh my?..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zobanu

Reaction score
First post on GMT, have an account on FSC from when i first got my obs but i've looking through the forums here for a while now and notice more people seem to respond here lol.
On to the question(s). I'm currently running some 265 mt's and plan on sizing up to 285's soon when i get it back on the road. I know that shouldnt be a problem but i'm a little concerned about tie rods. I had moog problem solvers in my cart but then i got nervous and thought maybe i should sleeve them but there aren't any sleeving options. Would they be sufficient or should i opt for maybe ac delco's with proforged sleeves?
One more question, i was gonna order kyb monomax's but i see they have a stock shock or a 1-3" lifted shock. I plan on cranking the front an inch or so, yes i know its not the best but my truck has been offroad maybe 3 times the 5 years ive had it and will not be a dd. But i figured i should order the 1-3" lift shock for the front and the stock shock for the back? I think i pretty much know the answer to this but I just would like to hear another input or two lol.
Thanks in advance for any replies and sorry for the huge first post haha..
-brandon

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I have the front of mine cranked up some with factory shocks, doesn't seem to be a problem. The only thing I have noticed about these trucks when you crank the front up is it sounds like the rear end is whining, but really it is the large hole on the bottom of the control arm as air passes over it. Kinda like blowing over the top of a glass at the right angle. Not really sure on the sleeved tie rods, I have always had good luck in the past out of moog. I have 265 70 18's on my truck and when I put new ones on there it will be the moog ones.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm running 285s with moog tie rods and upper ball joints, lowers need to be replaced they're still factory. Abt 30k on the parts and no problems. As for shocks mine were replaced at same time as lift but I'm sure the 1-3 would be good

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use the stock size Bilsteins on my 98 z71, front and back. They're the yellow and blue ones, think it's 4600 series versus the ones they sell for lifted trucks (5100?).

Tires are 285/75/16 BFG AT with slight crank to level the front. Front end has Moog Problem Solver components. Other than a little tire rubbing on the LCA, I haven't had any issues. Parts have probably three years and 30k miles on them.

I had KYB shocks (don't remember which model) on the front for about a week. Not sure if it was just a fluke, but the top mounting bolt (on both sides) rattled in the shock bracket. The sleeves in the shocks were just slightly too large for the factory bolt. I replaced then with the Bilsteins and had no further issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zobanu

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses so far guys. I think one my of shock bolts is loose right now because i hear a little rattle when i hit a bump going over 20/25. Would the 4600's be alright with the extra inch/inch and a half of crank or should i order/make a set of shock extenders?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would think it would be fine. Not sure how much mine is cranked, but it's level so probably an inch or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zobanu

Reaction score
Awesome. I should have the 285's here in the next few weeks and then the shocks/tie rods in a month or so. I appreciate all the help guys. I'll definitely post some pics and will start a build thread to keep up with the stuff i do. I had one on fsc but i was a whiney little 16 yr old who lol.