Sell GMT 1500 Suburban and buy GMT800 2500 Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joneserr

Reaction score
Hello going from a 3,000 pound pop up trailer to 6,000 pound travel trailer. Existing tow rig is a 1999 K1500 suburban.

Thinking of going to GMT800 2500 6.0 4x4. Want to pull safely over the mountains.

Any thoughts on pros and cons here? My existing suburban has 150k and is in very good condition with 3.54 gears and stock suspension and tires. truck has no rust and I have replaced a lot of parts and is very reliable and drives very nicely. Concerned mostly about stopping but also L31 is fine for small trailer but seems like it would struggle with more weight over the hills. Lastly concerned about 4l60e holding up to mountain pass use with more weight.

In stead of another rig, other option might be to replace 10 bolt with 14 bolt and lower ratio from 3.54 to 3.73 while getting bigger rear brakes, more heavy duty axle and a little extra pulling power (understand would need computer and front diff change as well). Also understand 4l80e swap and HT383e is an option for durability and power but now talking expensive and time consuming to upgrade.

I have upgraded brakes with powerstop front pads, braided houses and GMT800 master and is much improved from stock but still just ok and concerned about stopping on the hills with more weight coming down mountain pass.

Would 14 bolt swap do much for braking and would a little lower gearing help that much for hills?

GMT400 has been mostly easy to work on and problems easy to fix is this the same for GMT800?

thanks for opinions on this.