Scratching noises when reversing???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mutanay

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay since day one when i had the fabtech 4.5 lift and put 325 nittos which equal to 35's i have had scratching when i turn left and reverse left. When i added two inch spacers to the lift i was able to preform a full cycle left turn without scratching, turn right and reverse right without scratching. The only issue now is when i reverse left at half point all the way to full turn it makes this horrendous bodily scratching sound that im 99% sure its the tire rubbing against the fender. Why the hell does it only make this noise reversing left but not driving forward? If anything do you guys know how i would go about fixing this so i don't claw my tires to death. It looks like i already need new tires because of cracking, i just need this ******* scratching to stop. If anyone knows what to do that would be cool. (ALSO, i put this thread because i figured the noise came from scratching the body. Sorry if it's in the wrong thread)

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
What type of truck? Im assuming since you said 4.5" its a c2500? 325 is a very wide tire. Depending on the rim offset your most likely rubbing the frame. In wich case you would need a lower offset wheel. Can you crank the wheel and look? Should be pretty evident were its contacting.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

mutanay

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What type of truck? Im assuming since you said 4.5" its a c2500? 325 is a very wide tire. Depending on the rim offset your most likely rubbing the frame. In wich case you would need a lower offset wheel. Can you crank the wheel and look? Should be pretty evident were its contacting.

Well, my mechanic teacher at college saw what was wrong and said it was rubbing, which is why im 95% sure thats it, i just wanted to see if any of you guys had issues with a similar lift height like mine with the same tire size. I actually see damage coming from the tire which i assume is the rubbing. So all in all just get a more narrow tire? or rim? Could a rim that fits a 325/65R18 fit a 35x12.5R18?

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
All depends on where its rubbing. My truck rubbed the frame at full lock with 285s & no lift. Once i did a spindle lift & pushed the front track out. It wouldnt contact the frame. If i didnt lift & just went with a low offset wheel it wouldnt hit the frame but instead stuff the tire into the bumper & fender. So where the rub is important to know.