Save this truck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flintlock

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 97 k1500 4.3 5 speed cheyenne. The truck runs great, full of power (given it's a v6). Out of nowhere after driving 30-40 minutes, the truck wouldn't restart. It took several cranks then boom, started up and ran fine and continued to start normal throughout the day. The next morning, it wouldn't start, it cranked like it should and no start. I hooked jumper cables to it and it started up just fine. I drove 4-5 miles to work, cut it off, cranked it another time and it started fine (3 hours or so later). Went to restart 3 hours after shutting it down, it just turned over; i put jumped it with another truck again and it started fine. Its done this same thing several times since and i am very close to rolling it in my pond. I put a battery charger to it to ensure the battey stayed charged. NAPA tested the battery, starter, and alternator; they all were fine as well as being fairly new. Replaced the CTS recently and it is clear, new ac delco feul pump which i can hear when i turn the key on. It has new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I believe it has to be electrical related because the added "juice" from the jump gives whatever the needed kick to complete its task. Forgive my lack of formal terminology. I have no clue what it is. Coil? ICM? Crankshaft position sensor? I dont want to put a ton of money on parts before i get some opinions. I appreciate any help ahead of time, I'm sure we can get this thing figured out.

P.S. Please forgive any typos; typing on this ipad sucks. Thanks again.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
also, check your grounds, its odd that whenever its being jumped (grounded through the other truck) it starts just fine.

flintlock

Reaction score
Thanks RichLo. I'll make sure to check the other grounds. The one on the fender is clean, I don't know about the others I know they can get aggervating. I changed the crank sensor this morning. Once the truck got heated up good (5 miles) it started misfiring violently. It was so bad it shook the whole truck; this happened around 2000 RPMs only. I am fairly certain it is the timing chain. It has been making a nasty knocking sound that I thought was a rod bearing or something. I don't have time to fool with the truck myself; I gave it to my mechanic. I'll update when I know more.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
If you have access to n OBD2 scan tool, if it is sensor related I would imagine that there should be a pending or history code, even if the light doesn't come on.

chadimus06

Reaction score
MY TRUCK DID THE EXACT SAME THING NOT TO LONG AGO AND IT WAS A BAD BATTERY

flintlock

Reaction score
Update: My mechanic has a fancy scan tool and a love for spending other people's money and has put a coil, control module, new distributor cap, and who knows what else on my truck. I'm already in the hundreds on this problem lol. It still has the starting issue and the jumping/ missing problem after all that. I am wondering if it may be a compression and or timing issue. He still hasn't checked the rear ground. I will update with more info, thanks y'all.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update: My mechanic has a fancy scan tool and a love for spending other people's money and has put a coil, control module, new distributor cap, and who knows what else on my truck. I'm already in the hundreds on this problem lol. It still has the starting issue and the jumping/ missing problem after all that. I am wondering if it may be a compression and or timing issue. He still hasn't checked the rear ground. I will update with more info, thanks y'all.
Could it be the timing chain is worn out ?