Sas dually built

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Country_Proud

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking to turn my ecsb into a sas dually 6.5. a buddy has a cclb dually 2wd that will sell to me for 1200$ engine has 120000km and tranny just rebuilt with 200 km. I would be using it for a parts truck take the 14 bolt posi 6.5 engine and tranny and all the other stuff needed to run it. He also has a dana 44 from an 83 k10 will let me have for free. has any one put 8 lugs on one. I won't be bouncing the truck through the mud or anything. I'd rebuild the axles with stronger components and 4.56 gears to run 35s. My truck as it now is a 93 k1500 with 9in lift and a built 355 on 35s. I'm looking to do this because I want something different and I got a use for a diesel(work on farms, welding, logging, helping friends with their trucks). I know the 6.5 has a bad rep but I don't mind them. so I'm wondering for help of what kit for sas swap and few other things. I was looking at the ORD kit but I don't know if the dana 44 will work with it. also switching the 6 lug 44 to an 8 lug.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Uh.. ok.

The hub change on a Dana 44 is pretty self explanatory, nothing new there, they were used in both K10/20 with either hub.

Dana 44 and 10 bolt axle shafts are pretty weak sauce for a heavy truck, a better choice would be a Dana 60.

Wanting 4.56 gears, but not sure what goes in between the engine and differentials. It makes a world of difference what transmission and transfer case you plan on running. What RPM do you want to run at X speed?

With fabrication skills, anything is possible, however you are talking months of work, unlike most television shows where things take a half hour episode to do.

I wouldn't go to the work of swapping in a 6.5, it's not a task for the faint of heart. It's not worth all the free fuel you can steal from the farm.

With the addition of a FF 14B dual rear axle, it will still be registered as a half ton if you use the cab off of that.

The juice just is not worth the squeeze.

Country_Proud

Reaction score
Uh.. ok.

The hub change on a Dana 44 is pretty self explanatory, nothing new there, they were used in both K10/20 with either hub.

Dana 44 and 10 bolt axle shafts are pretty weak sauce for a heavy truck, a better choice would be a Dana 60.

Wanting 4.56 gears, but not sure what goes in between the engine and differentials. It makes a world of difference what transmission and transfer case you plan on running. What RPM do you want to run at X speed?

With fabrication skills, anything is possible, however you are talking months of work, unlike most television shows where things take a half hour episode to do.

I wouldn't go to the work of swapping in a 6.5, it's not a task for the faint of heart. It's not worth all the free fuel you can steal from the farm.

With the addition of a FF 14B dual rear axle, it will still be registered as a half ton if you use the cab off of that.

The juice just is not worth the squeeze.

The tranny is 4l80e with 203 tcase. I've decided to stay with independent front suspension due to haven't gave me any troubles and would be a waist to get rid of upgraded tubular control arms and all the other upgraded parts. The farm doesn't have fuel tanks. I could do the swap I've swapped engines before hoping for some pointers. the tires size is gonna be around 35-37. I have 6"+3" right now gonna cut the 3" body lift down so I get 8" of lift 35s look to small on that much lift but will still have enough lift to clear 37s

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
For starters, every piece of wiring will be different between the 350 and a 6.5.

You are going to completely swap the entire wiring and dash out of one into the other, not to mention the engine harness as well.

You have a Ford 203 TC mated to the 4L80E with an input shaft swap>? The 205 would be a better choice, IMO.

Country_Proud

Reaction score
I do have a parts truck its and old dually with 6.5 year is a 94 i plan on gutting both interiors taking body off frame epoxy the frame and beef it up a bit. i found a good deal on crew cab long box. but the box is done on it so decided to do a ccsb dually you dont see them much and they are more useful then ecsb. i plan on putting the short box on the long box frame move the axle forward and cutting the end off the frame. im putting the dash components front buckets with console out of the extened cab in it then i have seats from a 2001 regular cab that is 2 bucket seats and a fold up middle seat that im gonna put in the back.