Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found mine through a local ford Facebook group. I got in contact with a guy who parted out Ford trucks, mostly OBS 7.3l trucks. Just be aware that these axle go for a pretty penny! Mine was $650 hub to hub with all of the steering components still attached.

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Putting on some fresh balljoints before final assembly

I had ordered up crossover steering machining for my passenger knuckle but 7 weeks later and I still don’t have the knuckle. Meh

Next up I need to battle with the ujoints and slap some paint on the axle shafts

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Getting the new ujoints in place. Pretty soon it might look like an actual axle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Axle shafts, knuckles, and spindles are back in place. The hubs are getting new rotors and studs.

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The axle is done for now. It needs calipers and steering linkage in the future but it’s finally time to move into the frame.

Pighuntin

Reaction score
Based on your last pics here....I see a crossover steering bracket. The perspective of the angle makes it kinda hard to see but it looks awful close to level with that leaf. Under articulation, will that cross over clear the leaf?

I only ask cause I am using a D50 diff and I am gonna run with the Fords inverted T setup. For mine, the vehicles weight is already settled on the springs and I have loads of clearance for that set up. Could you explain what you are planning on doing with your steering?

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Excellent question, it is one that I might not have the answer to for a few more months as I havnt even started building my frame never mind the body and motor that need to go ontop of it.

I put that leaf in place so that I could get a look, the surface of the cross over steering arm is roughly two inches above the top leaf. I'm not sure how well that holds up as I have never seen any one else's measurement. It might require a high angle tie rod end or possibly a bent steering linkage to make up the angle but it'll be a long time before I can get a good amount of weight over this axle

Pighuntin

Reaction score
@strikk, I know how that is, Wanting to see a look of progress. Dont blame you.

I know you are going a different direction with your steering but I will get a pic of how much clearance my set up has so you can see how much clearance I got. Hopefully it will give you some ideas to yours when you come up with your solution.

When I was looking at the steering, I was thinking I was gonna need a Ford steering gear box cause on their trucks, the pitman faces the front of the truck. On ours, it faces the rear. When I was getting ideas after the front was installed, I found that I can keep my steering box. I will though need a dropped pitman to ensure without a doubt that everything clears even under articulation.

Now....The pic is not my final set up. I was just seeing how far off I was. When I turned the truck around to do the rear, I kinda have to half ass the steering so I could turn it around. But I think for my setup, A shorter drag link(turning it in I was still off by a good 2") and a drop pitman, I should have no problems in binding, articulation, and geometry.

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Without having anything to truly measure at the moment the idea I'm going with is a drop pitman arm, most likely the 1104 series that are all over the popular parts sites on the stock steering box. I'll make a DOM tube steering link crossover from the stock box location to the passenger knuckle. A few months and I will have a solid answer.

I see tons of people on the internet all concerned and confused about what to do but I am not concerned with finding an easy and safe solution.