Safe to drive with broken sunshell/sungear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Found a cheap burb for sale locally with a bad band. Wish I had more room as it'd be an easy flip.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the time has come to make this unfortunate post. I have been defeated by the 4L60E. This transmission suffered a complete failure a few weeks ago, leaving me stranded alone in the middle of nowhere.
It started making this noise out of nowhere one day. Present in reverse, neutral, and first. Went way the instant the trans shifted to 2nd. Was really an awful sound when the revs started to build up in first. No clue what it was.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Then I was ascending a long hill on a dirt trail in the middle of nowhere and the trans started slipping more and more, until it wasn't pulling at all in any forward gears or reverse. Smelled burnt clutches. After letting it cool down for a bit it pulled enough to allow me to turn around and limp it back to pavement, which was fortunately downhill from where the transmission **** out. Definitely wasn't smart to take it in the middle of nowhere after it started making that noise.
While waiting on the tow truck it began doing this.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I'm thinking the pump failed, based on the rpm-dependent noise and the complete lack of activity in any gear. I don't care enough to investigate it. No clue what the original noise in reverse, neutral, and first was. I also noticed shift flair on a WOT 1-2 maybe half an hour before it completely went out.
I'm trying to sell the truck but no one wants it.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeez, that frame looks so clean compared to what I see around here.
According to carfax it's been in the southeast since spending the first year of its life as a lease in Michigan.
How much are you asking for the truck and where in Tennessee is it?
https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/knoxville-1997-gmc-yukon-slt/6852180880.html
I figure I'm gonna have to let it go for under a grand. Especially because the rebuilt title.

Last edited:

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you should raise the price a little. I sold my 96 with almost 250k and a giant dent on the passenger rocker for $1500.
There's the Craigslist spirit for ya! It hasn't sold at $1200 so jack the price up, it'll surly sell then!

I will just have to pretend that the other two are not there.
You could always weld them all shut and use the windows, worked great for the Dukes!

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I am not sure that I could get in the window, with my luck I would get one leg inside and then I would slip and rupture myself!:eek: