Safe to drive with broken sunshell/sungear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Gotta hit those plugs with heat before tugging on them.
Am I mistaken that they've melted, and it's just that the sealant used in there is kinda like glue? It's definitely tougher than the black tar crap used in the firewall connector, that's for sure!

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nope, neighbor runs a trans shop and showed me. They were still sticky when warm, but not impossible like without the heat.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heating it definitely would have helped, didn't occur to me at the time. I don't think the plugs themselves have melted or anything, it's just the gluey goop stuff in there that wouldn't let go.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I would have never considered it if I weren't spoon fed that info. Probably would have unbolted it from the trans and let it hang.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday I got a new range switch, among a few other things, from PullAPart. I just cut the pigtail. It was a little tricky to get to one of the bolts with the big connector still in place though.

Transmission is 90% torn down. Sunshell is hashed, everything else looks to be in pretty good condition.
You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the connector out of the new range sensor.

Heat did the trick. Softened the glue stuff up.

You can see the goop on the connector.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Good to hear. Don't forget you'll need heat to reassemble and don't wipe the goo off either.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Just a thought, I wonder if the whine you heard could be your fuel pump. Mine would sing after a while, but was quiet when cold.

Just in case it's still there when you're back up and running.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought, I wonder if the whine you heard could be your fuel pump. Mine would sing after a while, but was quiet when cold.

Just in case it's still there when you're back up and running.
Pretty positive it was coming from the trans. Came definitively from the trans area under the truck.
It would only be there in reverse, and would coincide with rpm. Probably a normal sound that a healthy transmission makes but isn't normally audible because the part it's coming from is only spinning and making noise when you're moving in reverse.