Running Rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 94 chevy 1500 with the 5.7 350 i recently noticed the truck smoking s lot in the way home from work one day it hasn't done it at all before and checked the oil it was a little low so i topped it off. get home and it still didn't quit smoking so i notice it is only coming out of the drivers side exhaust (i have true duals) and i decided to change the plugs after i change the plugs i put the wires back on in the firing order they go. it run like ****. so i decided to pull the intake and the drivers side head to see how it all looked. everything checked out okay cleaned all the carbon off put it back on and i'm still getting the same problem. it backfires boggs isles really rough like i has a big cam. it seems to me like it's out of time or a wire is crossed but i have checked checked and triple checked following the firing order. someone please help before i go pay someone hounded to look at it

Tweezak

Reaction score
Hey Tanner
I'm here because I have a similar problem. I'm not smoking but my idle is rough and the truck (same year and model as yours) stumbles on acceleration. It'll go but doesn't seem happy about it.

I'm not getting any codes (check youtube for pulling codes on chevys...it's easy). I went ahead and changed all the easy stuff that was probably really old (truck has almost 300k on it).
  • fuel filter
  • engine temperature control valve
  • MAP sensor
  • EGR valve (correct one from Chevy dealer)
  • EGR solenoid
  • Throttle position sensor
  • Idle air control valve
  • various vacuum lines
I'm not a fan of troubleshooting-by-wallet, as my brother calls it, but I wasn't making any headway on this so I decided to throw some money at it. Unfortunately none of this appears to have had any effect. I also recently changed the distributor and for a week after that the truck was running great...then it started this issue.

Any ideas? Think my new distributor shat the bed?

Unkel Dale

Reaction score
Hi guys I don't know where to start. I do know that I can't help here, yet. I bought mine about 3 months ago and just today started having this sluggish issue bog issue

Jackedup92

Reaction score
Hi guys I don't know where to start. I do know that I can't help here, yet. I bought mine about 3 months ago and just today started having this sluggish issue bog issue
All of you guys having the same problem I had! Very common for this motor! If you think the timing may be a little off it’s really easy to check! You will need a timing light and a 9/16 wrench. Loosen the hold down bolt on the distributor make sure not to turn it while loosening it but make sure u can turn it if you need to while it’s running. Disconnect your timing connector on the firewall it’s a tan wire with black stripe. Start the truck and have your timing light hooked up to the battery for power and clamp the timing wire around your number one plug wire. With the engine at idle point the light at the timing tab on the timing chain cover. It should flash on 0 degrees. If not the adjust distributor till it flashes on zero degrees. Lock the distributor back down and reconnect the timing connector on the firewall. Now when you point your light at tab u should see the mark be away from the tab indicating the computer is advancing the timing. If it’s still on zero then you have a problem coming from the brain or wiring to the timing connector

Unkel Dale

Reaction score
More information for you all, new crate motor 1700 miles as of today, when we put it on the computer BECAUSE SOMETHING WAS NOT RIGHT. We could NOT get the TDC correct UNTIL we gouged out the bolting slot of the locking fork for the square on the distributer stock with a die grinder to MOVE the slot to the left only then could we get the engine onto +2/0 (not minus 2, we couldn't get it that far) and THEN we tightened the bolt for the distributer. The reading before this from the factory was -14, WOW!

Well sluggish / bog is now intermittent, It ran real bad going up the BIG hill this am and no issues this pm. This could be a, "I am warmed up and I am going to fail soon". The big hill is real close to the start on my drive home. The engine may still be "cold" at that time.

Unkel Dale

Reaction score
More information for you all, new crate motor 1700 miles as of today, when we put it on the computer BECAUSE SOMETHING WAS NOT RIGHT. We could NOT get the TDC correct UNTIL we gouged out the bolting slot of the locking fork for the square on the distributer stock with a die grinder to MOVE the slot to the left only then could we get the engine onto +2/0 (not minus 2, we couldn't get it that far) and THEN we tightened the bolt for the distributer. The reading before this from the factory was -14, WOW!

Well sluggish / bog is now intermittent, It ran real bad going up the BIG hill this am and no issues this pm. This could be a, "I am warmed up and I am going to fail soon". The big hill is real close to the start on my drive home. The engine may still be "cold" at that time.
My fuel pump in the tank is now replaced, highest pressure was 51 psi on the old one