Rough Country 4"/6" kit install tips.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the only picture I have of what gets cut.

You must be registered for see images attach

Did you get a used kit or something? There are decent pictures in the instructions an if you don't have them you can get them from the rough country website.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're removing the bars completely you need the tool to unload them so you can remove the adjuster. If your going to keep them together as an assembly then I don't think you need it. That has been discussed earlier in this thread. I can't help much with that as I completely disassembled mine since I changed the ball joints and all. Hunter could probably give you a better explanation on the way he removed his front end as one piece.

Well, I don't know if I need to remove the bars completely. I don't mind struggling with heavier sub assemblies if it means not having to separate the ball joints and stuff. I want to go into this job knowing exactly what needs to be done prior to actually reading the directions.

My biggest concern is the torsion bars. never messed with them and dont know whats involved in removing them to do this lift. Some people mention the use of a tool while others say its not needed.

no matter what. I do not want to separate the ball joints so that means the knuckle will stay connected to the upper and lower control arm. I assume I will need to remove the bolts for both the upper and lower arms to be able to drop them????

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I don't know if I need to remove the bars completely. I don't mind struggling with heavier sub assemblies if it means not having to separate the ball joints and stuff. I want to go into this job knowing exactly what needs to be done prior to actually reading the directions.

My biggest concern is the torsion bars. never messed with them and dont know whats involved in removing them to do this lift. Some people mention the use of a tool while others say its not needed.

no matter what. I do not want to separate the ball joints so that means the knuckle will stay connected to the upper and lower control arm. I assume I will need to remove the bolts for both the upper and lower arms to be able to drop them????
I think you will consume more time wrestling with the knuckle with the upper and lower Control arms attached. It's easier to just get everything out of the way. I completely understand wanting to keep as much together to short cut the process and save time however it might just take longer.

Everything gone

Don't be afraid of the torsion bars! They are super easy, just mark them with a grease pen/paint marker so you know the orientation they go in. I would rent or borrow the torsion bar tool. It's really straight forward and marking them will insure you don't screw up.

As shown already cut off the bump stops and grind them flat to allow the upper control arm drop brackets to lay across.

Cut off the lower diff mount

One thing I wish I would have done better is to grind down the diff. You really need to take off a decent amount of material to clear.

The rest is just Nuts and bolts.

I have more pics if you want them or any questions just fire away. It's definitely a job installing the kit but the instructions are pretty good.

Sent from my throttle body injected galaxy note3

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and the pics. Posting up more pics of your work would be awesome. The lift needs to go in and the front gears need to be changed so I guess doing them both at the same time would be the smartest thing to do. Also need to replace all the hard brake lines.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the difference between the RCX 4" and 6" kit? Mainly the front end parts? I was under the impression that it was just one kit and if you wanted the extra 2" then you just cranked the bars and added an extra leaf in the rear.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
What is the difference between the RCX 4" and 6" kit? Mainly the front end parts? I was under the impression that it was just one kit and if you wanted the extra 2" then you just cranked the bars and added an extra leaf in the rear.
No the front end parts are exactly the same

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The difference is the the 6" kit comes with a rear add a leaf and the 4" kit doesnt. The diff drop on both kits is 5 1/8" iirc.

EDS_5_OH

Reaction score
I think you will consume more time wrestling with the knuckle with the upper and lower Control arms attached. It's easier to just get everything out of the way. I completely understand wanting to keep as much together to short cut the process and save time however it might just take longer.

Everything gone

Don't be afraid of the torsion bars! They are super easy, just mark them with a grease pen/paint marker so you know the orientation they go in. I would rent or borrow the torsion bar tool. It's really straight forward and marking them will insure you don't screw up.

As shown already cut off the bump stops and grind them flat to allow the upper control arm drop brackets to lay across.

Cut off the lower diff mount

One thing I wish I would have done better is to grind down the diff. You really need to take off a decent amount of material to clear.

The rest is just Nuts and bolts.

I have more pics if you want them or any questions just fire away. It's definitely a job installing the kit but the instructions are pretty good.

Sent from my throttle body injected galaxy note3

What are the gray colored items that look to be moving your torsion bars back up under the truck?

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are the torsion bars in their OEM location on the crossmember when using the relocators?