Rough Country 4"/6" kit install tips.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just had my entire front end rebuilt a few months ago. What steps can I delete or modify to install this kit so that I dont make more work for myself and/or damage the new parts I recently had installed? The only areas that worry me are cutting/grinding and removing the torsion bars. This is on a 98 2 door 4wd

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could pull the spindles an a arms as an assembly so you don't damage the ball joints trying to knock them loose.

You have to knock the inner tie rods loose to change the center link but you could leave the outers attached to the spindle to.

The bars can stay in the lowers to but the more you leave together the heavier it will be.

Jmlea0

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody have any pics of how they re routed exhaust or what they used for a temporary fix? I just installed the kit and need a quick fix to put on so I can drive the tahoe to exhaust shop//

Jmlea0

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought with the autotrac case you had to have the shaft in to drive

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could pull the spindles an a arms as an assembly so you don't damage the ball joints trying to knock them loose.

You have to knock the inner tie rods loose to change the center link but you could leave the outers attached to the spindle to.

The bars can stay in the lowers to but the more you leave together the heavier it will be.

Im a little late on getting back to you but thanks for the heads up. I just want to make this front install as easy as I can get it.

Can I simply start by unbolting the torsion bolts completely until the bolts are off the truck or is there a special method to removing the bolts/keys to unload the bars? I keep reading different methods for this step.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And does anyone have those pics of the cutting that was needed?

I also think I am going to ditch the block they offer and go with the ORD Shackle drop kit with my stock springs

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im a little late on getting back to you but thanks for the heads up. I just want to make this front install as easy as I can get it.

Can I simply start by unbolting the torsion bolts completely until the bolts are off the truck or is there a special method to removing the bolts/keys to unload the bars? I keep reading different methods for this step.
If you're removing the bars completely you need the tool to unload them so you can remove the adjuster. If your going to keep them together as an assembly then I don't think you need it. That has been discussed earlier in this thread. I can't help much with that as I completely disassembled mine since I changed the ball joints and all. Hunter could probably give you a better explanation on the way he removed his front end as one piece.