Rough Country 2-3 Lift Kit For 88-98 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

minicooperzoom

RCSS' Rule!
Reaction score
Is the Rough Country 2-3 lift kit for the GMT400 platform better than just cranking the stock keys?

The Kit:
http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-165.html

I want my K1500 to sit higher so I have a bit more clearance for my 285/75R16s (And have a better stance) but don't want the height or cost of the 4-6 kit they offer. This is due to the fact that in the winter I plow with my Step Side and don't want to (or have to) modify my setup any more and right now my front end is cranked up around 2"-3" (which I know isn't very good for it) but it helps clear the tires and helps with holding up the Blow being it's only a half ton.

So would the 2"-3" kit be better for the front end than how my truck currently is?

You must be registered for see images attach

1998 Chevy K1500 RCSS Z71

LOH CHO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All your doing with the kit is slightly lowering your differential to help with CV angle. Your lower control arms are still going to be sitting at a steep angle, and the new upper control arms are mounted lower to account for the differential drop. The kit gives you cheap shock extensions that have been known to break. I especially would not trust them with a plow on the front. I've made a thread asking the same questions years ago and in the end, every answer is buy the 4" and de-crank with small blocks in the back.

In the end there is zero way of cheap lifting an IFS truck without causing more harm than good.

minicooperzoom

RCSS' Rule!
Reaction score
I know the lower control arm angle is going to be a problem still. But I'm mainly just looking for something that is going to be better than the way my front end is set up now and a way to get the rear end sitting just a few inches higher.

If I didn't use the shock extensions and got a set of proper length shocks then would it be a better option then the way I'm set up now?

I really don't want a de-cranked 4" kit. (As much as I would love to have my truck ridding around 4"s higher.) It's just not practical with the plow and then having to fabricate custom drop plates/bracket for the main plow bracket.

Wouldn't the drop brackets possibly interfere with the plow brackets as well?

Wouldn't de-cranking the 4"-6" kit to around 3" end up making the lower control arm relatively level with the ground?

LOH CHO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually didn't really think about the plow brackets. I feel like I've seen lifted obs with plows still on them but I could be wrong.

I think you're better off to leave the truck how it is.

If your really just looking for the height just put a 2" or 3" body lift in and slightly de-crank. Super cheap and won't interfere with the plow

minicooperzoom

RCSS' Rule!
Reaction score
Most OBS plow trucks I think are cranked up a bit to help hold the weight. But I believe I have seen them too but I think they may have had body lifts.

My truck holds a plow almost as good (If not better than) my dad's '99 6.5 K2500 Suburban. (We both share the plow and pump setup (So it is an equal comparison))

But even if that kit only helps 1 or 2 things that's better than nothing

But I really hate body lifts. I know putting one on my truck wouldn't be much of a problem since she is completely rust free. But I hate having the frame hanging down more than it already does under the cab

I'm pretty **** about how stuff goes on and looks on my truck lol

minicooperzoom

RCSS' Rule!
Reaction score
Yeah. Are you referring to my dad's 'Burban or torsion bar plow truck in general?

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Torsion bars in general. They are like coil springs. They sag over time. So maybe a new set is in order. And you can check the weight rating of them and get some rated higher if you like.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I know the lower control arm angle is going to be a problem still. But I'm mainly just looking for something that is going to be better than the way my front end is set up now and a way to get the rear end sitting just a few inches higher.

If I didn't use the shock extensions and got a set of proper length shocks then would it be a better option then the way I'm set up now?

I really don't want a de-cranked 4" kit. (As much as I would love to have my truck ridding around 4"s higher.) It's just not practical with the plow and then having to fabricate custom drop plates/bracket for the main plow bracket.

Wouldn't the drop brackets possibly interfere with the plow brackets as well?

Wouldn't de-cranking the 4"-6" kit to around 3" end up making the lower control arm relatively level with the ground?

I think you're confused here. It's not a 4-6" kit, there are separate 4" and 6" kits. The 4" would barely be higher than you are now with control arms and CVs at good angles so I really don't see what the big deal is here.

minicooperzoom

RCSS' Rule!
Reaction score
I knew over time they will loose some spring.

But I thought the only difference between the RC 4" and the RC 6" was just the 6" comes with add-a-leafs in the rear to get the extra 2". Because if I recall correctly I thought they used the same differential drop bracket?