RokRoland's 1989 K1500 Sportside - Long term family member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RokRoland

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for over a year on this very informative forum and decided to make my first post. Pictured is the Chevy that's been in my family from approximately 1995 on. The car has spent all its life here in Finland, and I am the third owner. The picture itself is from July 2016, right now the car is covered in quite a bit of snow and it is a bit dark so no recent photo is available just yet.

You must be registered for see images attach

The story goes, as a 14 year old kid in 1995, my dad was trading in his rusted old 1987 Isuzu KB and I insisted on joining him on the trip. Anyway, he was planning to get a new Mazda or something similar (gas prices have always been approximately double or triple to U.S. over here so it makes sense to have a diesel four banger if accumulating any kind of real mileage) but one of the dealers had a really good offer for this Chevy, with low miles (about 50.000) and after enough badgering my dad caved in.

Long since retired, my dad sold me the car for quite cheap some 18 months ago and I have been tending to it ever since. At least I know the history pretty well: The car's been neglected for the most part, abused for the other part (whenever I got to drive it) but it's still holding up pretty strong and now, having a garage that facilitates some repair works I plan to do a step by step repair and upgrade program.

I don't plan to raise the truck as I don't intend to go off roading. I would not mind to have a proper locking rear end as the car gets stuck on snow too easily for a 4x4 - Sometimes it feels my old 1990 Thunderbird SC was easier to drive in the wintertime, because of the better diff (I miss that car but too many niggles to sort out).

Anyway, my plan for some kind of chassis upgrade now took to the fast lane after this year's mandatory inspection revealed the following immediate failures that I need to fix in the next month:
- Front right shock is ineffective (I was prepared for this)
- Trailer hitch rusted (needs welding)
- Rear right leaf spring pack has a broken spring (surprise!)
- Gear indicator not working

So, I plan to make a order to Rockauto as soon as possible, as shipping will take weeks anyway and I'll be pretty pressed for time once they arrive. I plan to get new KYB shocks all around as I have good experience about the brand. However spring-wise Rockauto seems to list manufacturers that I don't know anything about. I plan to go for 3+1 leaves and later get air assist if needed (really I don't carry large loads often at all and comfort is more of a priority).

Any experiences or suggestions about good brands would be really helpful. I can get the broken leaf repaired locally too, but the price will almost reach to the same as having two new packs, and I think after 29 years completely new packs should be in order with the other necessary hardware. I did think of just pulling the one broken leaf spring out and putting airbags in as the economy option, but realized that in the end I probably need good leaves to start with.

As part of the order, I plan to go for cab mounts as well. I'd prefer not to go for poly mounts (I have poly bushings in my SAAB which is lurking behind the Chevy in the picture) as I think it is not necessary to have such a stiff mount. However, the Goodmark ones appear to be the same price all around so it still gets me thinking... Also I am really tempted to try the GMT900 mount despite having the standard cab, because it seems a popular choice for the longer cabs but no-one appears to have the valid information if one shouldn't because it is dangerous, shouldn't because it is unnecessary, or it it would actually be a good idea but GM did not recommend it because of some other reasons.

Most of the other rubber has perished as well. I assume the leaf springs will come with new bushings(?). Another thing that needs taken care of is the door weatherstrips. On both sides, they've' gone from around the window. The main door seals are in pretty bad shape too. Oh, and I should mention the hanging doors, I guess new pins and strikers are needed as well. Passenger side window controls have expired as a consequence, rusty bits fell out when removing the button so I will need a new one.

Other than that, there's the damaged bumpers - in the front, Dad managed to forget the car on Drive on the field one day in about 2005 and the car lodged itself under a grain trailer - so the bumper is still a bit slanted. On the rear, my brother reversed into a lamp pole some time in 1999, so there is a dent and the right rear fender fiberglass is also damaged. The camper, which has served its purpose really well on many a rock festival, fell off once as the fasterers rusted off and has cracked - it is now sitting too wide over the bed and the rear door doesn't sit well. The seat cover is broken and foam has come off where the driver sits. Most body panels are dented or at least scratched. The Duraliner insert in the bed is still in place except for the door.

Besides, there's a few more points to service. A plug change would probably do wonders, however the ignition unit, distributor and wires were changed some 6 years back. The front axle 4wd actuator stopped working again, it was replaced in 2003 but they just don't seem to last longer than 15 years and I am considering the manual Posi-Lok cable system or whatever it was called. I plan to put in the Jeep steering shaft because there's more play in the steering than in any car (or farm tractor) I've driven excluding some military trucks built to 1940s specs. The driving lights apparently originate from an International Harvester farm tractor because the DOT lights needed to be replaced for ones with E approval ones when the car was new. They are now so dim it's hard to see anything on the low beam so new ones are required. Rear lights are constant source of problem, cruise doesn't work on the multifunction stalk, the radio controls are frozen for the most part (you can only turn the volume up or balance right on some days) but at least the clock woke up from the 1:00 it was stuck at, the blower motor and stepper motors sound like they are on their last legs, AC doesn't work, the roof liner is hanging, driver seat belt connecting part is held together by duct tape and I think the steering angles are somewhat off. Oh, and there is a massive clunk in the driveline probably caused by the slip yoke whenever there is transfer from acceleration to deceleration. And when the 4x4 still actuated, at highway speeds on snowy roads there were some massive BANGs from the front end which concern me a bit.

But hey, it's got a 350 TBI with TH700R and it accelerates pretty well all things considered, shifts nice (despite me not being sure if the turbine is locking or not and some sporadic SES lights) and has some torque down low before it hits 3500 RPM and starts suffocating. However I have some eventual plans to help the engine pull a bit more too, time will tell what will happen, but much as I'd like to have enough power to make all four wheels spin at any speed on dry asphalt with the flick of an ankle I think a more realistic course to take is upgrading exhaust, intake, chip, cam and if I fall on a lot of money maybe a set of heads.

After going thru all that, I still like the car a lot and the fact that I never seem to see K series Sportsides makes me wonder if they are rare or not.

I'll try and add some more pictures when there is daylight. Again, I'd be happy in to hear any experiences about the leaf spring brands, cab bushings, or other things I should consider to help me on my merry way of Chevy ownership.

RokRoland

Reaction score
Well. Managed to find 5 minutes for Youtube and 10 minutes to wrench on the truck today, and shift indicator needle is now fixed. The clip had moved, I recall it is probably not the first time this has happened, so I put in a dab of super glue and hope it will hold for a few years more.

One issue down, 40 or so to go? I have a feeling the rest of the fixes won't be as easy or as cheap.

RokRoland

Reaction score
I just spent a couple of hours of clicking on Rockauto to gather everything I need from weatherstrips to leaf springs, all kinds of gaskets, door pins, shocks all around... I knew it was going to be a ballpark of 1000 bucks which is where I ended up at. However, the shipping costs are more than the actual order. Add 10% import duty and 24% VAT on the combined total means I will need a rethink on the immediate fixes. The worst offender was freight for the leaf springs that was in excess of 400 dollars. It's not easy being wrong side of the pond!

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just spent a couple of hours of clicking on Rockauto to gather everything I need from weatherstrips to leaf springs, all kinds of gaskets, door pins, shocks all around... I knew it was going to be a ballpark of 1000 bucks which is where I ended up at. However, the shipping costs are more than the actual order. Add 10% import duty and 24% VAT on the combined total means I will need a rethink on the immediate fixes. The worst offender was freight for the leaf springs that was in excess of 400 dollars. It's not easy being wrong side of the pond!

RokRoland,

I understand your dismay about shipping costs. We have similar problems just north of the USA border, in Canada. Undoubtedly, your shipping costs are even more than mine.

Glad that you're keeping your '89 going. I have my own '89 K1500 sportside and love it. I am constantly working on outdoor projects and haul gravel, topsoil and lumber with it all the time.
You must be registered for see images attach

RokRoland

Reaction score
What a nice truck, 67Heaven! It looks like a labor of love. White color really stands out. I should do something to my paint, and bumpers, by looking at your truck it is obvious the body color bumpers seem like a nice alternative to having chrome. I'd love to see some more pictures.

Hauling-wise the last interesting cargo was getting a friend's Honda VT600C out of winter's way. With the fiberglass camper on top of the bed we actually had to disassemble some of the bike, but without the handlebars one of those just fits from corner to corner so snugly it would've not needed straps at all!

In recent development news, I ordered a bunch of stuff anyway from Rockauto, however excluding leaf springs. I have found someone who transports cars, parts and stuff in shipping containers which is much less expensive, but will take months. As interim solution I may just get the air ride kit and pull a leaf per side, then get all new leaf springs later on, because I really do not find it viable to pay 700-800 USD for just leaf springs without U-bolts and such. Actually, I was also looking at replacing the broken one on both sides with a junkyard leaf for the time being. After all, leaf springs are not rocket science.