Rocky: The Redneck Plow Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They're pretty gutless stock. I felt like I was taking a gamble when I bought the 1500, it had NOTHING off the line when I first bought it.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Well this will break up and sputter and pop under load at high rpm, im sure there's something timing related going on. It doesn't go any faster if im at half or full throttle

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Hadnt done anything with this because we hadn't had much snow. I still had to finish attaching the plow pins but figured I'd wait till i knew we would get snow. Went to training for work out of state for 3 days, and of course get word of a big storm that was supposed to hit the night i got back. I rigged it to work, and made sure it started, then left it till morning. Sure enough, we got dumped on with about a foot of heavy snow, and the stupid thing wouldn't start. It would sputter like it was trying, but wouldn't catch. After i let off the key it would keep sputtering a little for at least 5 seconds. Tried some extra fuel, didn't help so I knew it was spark related. The rpms also didn't seem to move while cranking. Did some research and determined that a good place to start was the cap and rotor, because i have an amp clamp for my meter and i didn't get any rpms from a couple plug wires. Put them on, and still no go. As a last ditch effort I popped the plugs on the left side out and all were soaked so i swapped them, and it would run but poorly. I went to pull the pass side ones and snapped the first two plugs off. Weirdly enough, it started and ran after that. I plowed what i needed on 6 cylinders and then parked it. Today it still fired right up on 6. I got an easy out and both plug threads came out with no issue. Im sure the other two will snap also but i didn't feel like messing with them. Permanently got the blade pins in, and now it plowing like a champ!
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Just in case someone has an idea what it was so i can fix it right, here's what it was doing.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Just for fun, here's it running on 6 :D
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just some nasty ass fouled plugs, doesn't seem all that fsr fetched to think that's the extent of it.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Just some nasty ass fouled plugs, doesn't seem all that fsr fetched to think that's the extent of it.
I do know it still has timing issues, can't seem to get rid of the P1345 code which its had since I got it. Its just weird that it started the night before with no issue.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Oh no, I can confirm this is a distributor problem. Had that SAME exact start issue a few months ago (I think I have a thread on that), swapped the distributor cap (didn't have to swap the rotor) and bam, she fired right up.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
That 1345 code is cam/crank correlation, out more than 2 degrees one way or the other.

Want the cheap fix? Take your distributor hold down tab and notch out the bolt hole so you can rotate the cap forwards and back. It won't take much, adjust, wing it to 2000rpm and check the cam offset. Once it's inside of +/- 2 degrees you're golden. Won't fix the misfires or stumbling bullshit, but it will get rid of the engine light

...or put some timing gears in it. Whichever