Reversing A Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasteddie68

Reaction score
One of the 97 K1500 ext I'm looking at has a 6" axle? lift and 3" body lift installed. The truck is clean and it appears to be a good quality modification. Is it easy to convert it to stock condition?

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look and see if the factory bump stop brackets have been cut off of the frame. A lot of lifts have to remove these brackets so that the front differential drop framework can bolt to the frame. Without them, the stock suspension would overtravel, put all of the stress on the ball joints, and break them. From my research for reverting a lifted 1995 K1500 to stock, they can't be purchased off the shelf and welded back on. The shop I had lined up to do the suspension conversion wouldn't even touch the truck because of the risk of snapping the ball joints.

fasteddie68

Reaction score
Specifically the lift is:
3" Rough Country Lift
6" Fabtech Susp Lift

Is the front subframe altered in any way - frame spacers? It's been a while since I poked under a K1500.

fasteddie68

Reaction score
Just an idea.
It may be possible to keep the lift kit temporarily. I know fat tires suck gas mileage. Is there a fuel efficient tire option for 20" rims? Alternately how would stock 16" rims with fuel saver tires (Michelin LTX?) work out?
Would stock rims and tires look odd with a lift kit?

EDIT:
The body has a 6" lift. Can that be removed to stock specs and still keep the 3" susp lift with stock wheels?
Sorry, maybe stupid questions from an old newby.

Last edited:

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 35s on the truck I wanted to go back to stock with were worn out, so I found a set of stock wheels and tires from a 2017 Silverado. It’s not the greatest, but 2” spacers all around helped.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
The body has a 6" lift. Can that be removed to stock specs and still keep the 3" susp lift with stock wheels?
Sorry, maybe stupid questions from an old newby.

That sounds reverse of the norm. 6" is a lot for a body lift, but has been done from time to time. Usually poorly. But you should be able to unbolt it all. Maybe grind the bed supports. Interested to see the bumper brackets. Do you have pictures of the lifts?

3" suspension lifts tend to be just cranking the torsion bars, sometimes in unison with keys(which are useless).

But I would assume it really is 3" body, 6" suspension.

fasteddie68

Reaction score
Tavi. You're correct - 3' body, 6" susp. I typed too fast.

Can the body be returned to normal by removing the lift.
or
Does this mean once a body/susp lift is done your committed for life. From what I've read, once the procedure is done, you're done. I dunno, am I mistaken?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 3" body can be put back to stock. As mentioned earlier most 6" lifts require cutting off the factory bump stops. And some require cutting the old front diff mounts to let the front diff to be lowered into the new lift brackets. If those where cut, NO, it (6" lift suspension lift) can not be removed and go back to stock with out ALOT of headache. You would have to measure, cut, weld, etc. Basically have to fabricate new bump stop brackets and front diff brackets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk