Resonator air box gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrhinman

Reaction score
I have a '96 C1500 w/Vortec 5.7L. Where the air intake and the resonator (that is what this is called right?) fit to the top of the throttle body there is a 4" gasket. Previous owner had gooped it all up with silicone to try to seal it. GM says part is discontinued from them. It's pretty banged up, and I'm sure it leaks air like crazy. I've been very unsuccessful in finding anything in local shops, online, etc. Does anyone have a resource for this thing? Or a suggested equivalent replacement? It is a metal-core ring with a rubber coating. See attached image.

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Obvious comment incoming...

You could always go pull one from a junk yard if you can't find anything new.

Short of that, you could try looking up the part number on eBay. Someone might have some old stock. What is the part number, out of curiosity?

Reaction score
I have a '96 C1500 w/Vortec 5.7L. Where the air intake and the resonator (that is what this is called right?) fit to the top of the throttle body there is a 4" gasket. Previous owner had gooped it all up with silicone to try to seal it. GM says part is discontinued from them. It's pretty banged up, and I'm sure it leaks air like crazy. I've been very unsuccessful in finding anything in local shops, online, etc. Does anyone have a resource for this thing? Or a suggested equivalent replacement? It is a metal-core ring with a rubber coating. See attached image.

You must be registered for see images attach
Did tryouts happen to have a ola

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Delete the resonator. No ill effects. No C/E light. Maybe a tad louder on hard acceleration.
IIRC, it's a 2" Schedule-40 plastic end cab that works. No need for a gasket.
Some guys have used soda/beer cans cut to length. I don't know about that. Seems that the aluminum would be a bit soft & too easily crushed by the hose clamp.
Anyways...

1227121532-jpg.109697

Rayzer

Reaction score
I did a smoke test on my intake and the only leak I have is that spot.
That plastic intake isn't sealing around the Throttle body top.
Can't seem to find that gasket anywhere.
Please post what you're solution was.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The O ring from the upper manifold that seals the spider is what I used. It took a bit of manipulation but it seals now.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The O ring from the upper manifold that seals the spider is what I used. It took a bit of manipulation but it seals now.
Note that the above is for where the plastic meets the alloy throttle body - as per post # 7.