Replacing Stock Front Shocks on 2500 - How Difficult?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
The price is super low on Amazon at the moment, so I just bought a pair.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BYNJ6AM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How tricky is the installation - frozen bolts, funky body positions...etc. My time is limited and my back is gimpy.

Lately I've been regretting every DIY I take on with this truck as it ends up trying my patience way more than I anticipated.

Should I just take it to the shop, or is this an easy one?

I've got a '99 Suburban 2500.

Thanks dudes,
Alex

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Depends on how rusty and/or seized up everything is. I took both of my trucks to my mechanic for this. According to him the ones on the red truck (which has been garaged most of it's life) came right off, but the ones on my Suburban (Lived outdoors for a few years) he had to cut loose with a grinder.

Personally I'd probably just take it to a shop if I were you, I think it cost me about 2hrs of labor per truck. And that was to do all four.

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah should be about an hr for front shocks. They aren't bad to do and if it's a Ca. truck it shouldn't be rusted.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
I replaced my front shocks at 197,000 miles. Bolts came right out. Took me about 45 minutes. Really easy.

JohnBravo

Reaction score
Is the general consensus that Bilstein is the way to go? I currently have a vibration from 30-50mph (independent from acceleration/braking, and I just got new tires so it's not a balance issue as the old tires did the same thing), and I think it might be the shocks which are probably original at 220k miles...I've been looking at Monroe shocks and had not looked at Bilstein until now.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Seems to be the general consensus, John, from most of the reading I've done. But there are always outliers. The alignment guy I've used in the past, actually recommend some much less expensive shocks (Monroes of some sort, I believe).

JohnBravo

Reaction score
The Monroe's I've been eyeing are between $30-35/ea (gas-magnum)...I'll have to research them a bit before committing. Thanks for the speedy reply!

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
I imagine it'll also depend on your truck and what you do with it. I've got a 2500 Suburban with 454 engine, so I figure I should go with a heavy duty shock - although I don't tow.

I also don't mind a stiff ride, and prefer it to an oldsmobile bounce (if you know what I mean).

JohnBravo

Reaction score
2000 K2500 Crew Cab 350ci 4l80e 8600gvw
I use it mostly for hauling (not heavy...last load was 2500lbs of sand bags) as I've got an Accord for daily driving...still take the truck out for a ride every few days to keep it happy. I enjoy the stiffer ride of the heavy-duty trucks, and it looks like I've already got Bilsteins...did not know that lol. I think the Monroe's will do just fine for me, but Bilsteins do have a fantastic reputation.