Replace master reservoir without bleeding? Or just do the whole master?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My master cylinder reservoir seeps fluid where it plugs in to the master. Looks like it does it at both ports. It's a very, very slow leak. I have added fluid only twice since it started almost a year ago. You can see where it trickles down the master, down the booster, and probably drips on the harness. I hose the fluid off every few days. Obviously it's the grommets where the reservoir plugs in. Is it possible to swap the reservoir without bleeding the system? It looks like enough fluid would be left in the ports if one were careful. Does it seem smarter to just do the master all at once and how hard is it to bleed the system after a master swap?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
if you take it off I would be ready to replace it and bleed it just in case you cant put it back together.

That said, you can try taking it off and getting a new o-ring around there to seal it off again.

But with me, anything with brakes on a regularly driven vehicle I do right the first time, so I would just replace the whole master if you drive it on a regular basis. (Off-road only trucks or snow plow only trucks are different)

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Its not that hard bleeding the system. A cheapy vacuum bleeder and 15 minutes and you could have it done. I wouldnt even bother unless youre going to bleed the whole system. The second you crack open the lines on the MC, air is induced.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
random question how are your 40s working for you? any issues

Lots of issues. I wont get into detail. But it's not worth the headache, and thats coming from someone with a lot of patience. Want my .02, run 37x15.50's or less.