Repainting my entire truck (frame and body, pictures)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FIREBALL 94

Bowtie enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good, I like it a lot can’t wait to see it finishe, kudos man for a awesome job and creativity I’d like to do my red single cab z71 in something like the raptor liner colored stuff. I was checking out a job a guy had done on a newer model Jeep had it totally line-x’d no the outside and two toned color too. It look sick but I’m sure it was major $$$...I honestly would rather try and do it myself like you did.

munrom77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost done! Still need to replace the fuel pump (again) I've just been crazy busy. Planning on getting a rear bumper step pad that is meant to fit without the impact strip, also planning to do the 4 way front marker light mod. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

How many kits of the raptor liner did it take do the entire truck? im looking to do my stepside as well but in the dark chevy green. Is it also worth putting the metal flake in if you were to do it again?
Thanks

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the compliments guys. The frame took me a 4 bottle kit and one extra bottle to do in black, and the body took about a kit and half to do in blue. The metal flake looks pretty good but isnt quite as pronounced as I'd like it to be. It tends to sink part way down as the Raptor cures rather than float, you could probably skip it and not notice a huge difference unless you want that little bit of glitter effect when the sun hits the truck just right. I can't wait for it warm up and see the sun again so i can get the truck out and snap a few shots for you guys. Ohio winters are awfully dreary. I've been sticking to my Accord daily driver and keeping the truck out of the salt.

munrom77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the compliments guys. The frame took me a 4 bottle kit and one extra bottle to do in black, and the body took about a kit and half to do in blue. The metal flake looks pretty good but isnt quite as pronounced as I'd like it to be. It tends to sink part way down as the Raptor cures rather than float, you could probably skip it and not notice a huge difference unless you want that little bit of glitter effect when the sun hits the truck just right. I can't wait for it warm up and see the sun again so i can get the truck out and snap a few shots for you guys. Ohio winters are awfully dreary. I've been sticking to my Accord daily driver and keeping the truck out of the salt.

You just put the reducer in to the same time as the paint and you did 15%? That was enough to make it a lot less textured?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

swervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! That was an awesome idea on the paint! Probably one of the nicest looking gmt400s ive ever seen... was that paint harder to make look good then normal paint? Ive only used rattle cans so far so i have no clue what its like with a gun, but it can be difficult to make something look alright with a can of spray paint. Then i tried spraying rock gaurd from a can... lets just say ill be investing in a gun soon, because im glad i only used a can for the frame where its hard to see hahah

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yeah I added about 20% reducer by volume right before I mixed and sprayed it.
It's really easy to make it look nice and consistent, I also added approximately 15% urethane clear to give the truck just a bit of a sheen in the sun, but the truck is a matte finish overall. The pictures don't give the paint much justice. Appreciate the compliments, everyone! Can't wait for winter to be over to add the finishing touches and get some new wheels on it.

cdwillis

Reaction score
The color and the texture look great. Awesome job so far. I know there's a lot of guys that don't care for the bedliner outside of the bed, but I think it looks pretty badass when a guy puts in the prep work.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! Can't wait for the weather to break to finally get it finished and back on the road.

munrom77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's going to be a great feeling to drive it again I bet, I know I'm chomping at the bit to get going on my stepside but it needs to warm up a lot minus 25 isn't fun to work in lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A little more progress, it's getting easier to work in the garage again as the temperatures are in the 40s rather than -15. Pulled the whole A/C system minus the evaporator, just in case the wife and I move somehwere warmer in a few years I can put in a new system. Everything else was junk, compressor wouldn't even turn. Bypass installed.