Repainting my entire truck (frame and body, pictures)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update! Epoxy and Raptor finally on. Frame is done. Now on to the body! Here's the epoxy:

You must be registered for see images attach

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Small update, fender liners and core support are in epoxy, then Raptor this afternoon.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Update! Epoxy and Raptor finally on. Frame is done. Now on to the body! Here's the epoxy:

Now is a good time to remove the upper control arm knockouts!!

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I probably should, I thought about it. I'm sure the tool would help make it much easier.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What type of set up do u have for your spraying the epoxy and liner? Also did you sand blast the fender wells? Looking to do similar thing to my truck and thinkin someone sprayed some bed coating on them and it's all clumpy and crappy looking.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm honestly just using a $30 eBay HVLP paint gun with a 26 gallon 2.5HP compressor. Pretty standard. I ended up buying new wheel wells and fenders (CAPA certified to aid in fitment). Mine were past shot. I recommend using some air craft stripper to remove old clumpy coatings. I used Klean Strip brand on my frame. I'm using BLP 2K gray epoxy and the standard black 2K Raptor liner on everything. I'm just spraying in my garage with the floor wet down a bit. Also I just ordered a knock out tool for the UCA mounts so I can get a proper alignment. Anybody have any tips on how to use the tool? It looks pretty easy.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did u sand inside the frame on the front of the truck? Also how do you go about sanding some of the hard to reach areas, inside the control arm brackets, corners. Sorry for more questions but I'm in process of sanding my frame down and can't get certain areas with my sander or a wire wheel.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ended up ordering a "blast out of a bucket" gun kit, it's just a media blaster that is ran from your air compressor and pulls blasting media out of a bucket through a siphon hose. works fairly well and was cheap. Definitely messy but it gets all the nook and crannies.. I didn't remove my lower arms, just the uppers. I sanded as close to arms as I could stand. I did clean the inside of the front frame clip. it's a pain because it's a boxed frame. The inside of my frame was in good shape up front, I power washed it wherever I could stick the wand, then blew it out with compressed air and let it sit for a couple days. Then I have the inside three good coats of Eastwood Internal Frame Coating. It's a phosphoric acid based rust converter that's supposed to soak intro the rust and trun it into an inert substance so it's doesn't spread any further. I've used it on my rockers and cab corners, and on other vehicles before and it works very well. If the inside of your guys' frames are really crusty, here is method I found to removing heavy scale from the inside. it's essentially a homemade snake tool with a chain attached then you attach it to a drill and feed it inside.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here is the bucket blaster kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007D30DO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Here is the Eastwood Internal Frame Coating:http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html

Last edited:

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great job so far! I plan to do the body of my K2500 with color matched Raptor starting next spring. Thanks for being detailed with your work so I have an idea of the amount of prep work I need to do.