Removing rust from steel wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas on how to clean these? I know to clean chrome but figured cleaning steel would probably be different...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it where me. I'd tape the tires off and sandblast the rims. Take them off the truck first of course...lol.. then self etch them and spray some color on them again....

That is unless some scotch brite doesn't work to clean them up first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it where me. I'd tape the tires off and sandblast the rims. Take them off the truck first of course...lol.. then self etch them and spray some color on them again....

That is unless some scotch brite doesn't work to clean them up first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
x2, those are just steel wheels. Best to remove and scuff sand, then tape off tires and spray paint. They'll look like new again. ;)

leakers

Reaction score
If you just paint over it , rust will still be under the new paint in the narrow crevice between the rim and the center. Even sand/bead blasting alone will have trouble stopping it.
If you want perfect wheels you need to remove the tires from the wheels, sandblast back to bare metal and then use a rustkill /phosphoric etch/primer and repaint , or take them to a redistrip or similar ,they should come back with a phosphoric coating ready for paint.
I use either a two pot heavy industrial wheel paint , or old fashioned baked enamel.
I don't like powdercoating, but if you do, you can have the old paint and dirt baked off in the powder coat oven and then beadblast the wheels prior to the actual powdercoating process.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sandblast

Or remove tire and place flat in a trash can. Fill trash can with vinegar and salt mixture past the wheel lip. Leave it for a few days.
Pull it out scrub it and then soak it in a different can with clean water and baking soda. It will be raw steel and will rust fast if you dont protect it. Rinse and then primer or spray with WD40 or metal protectant of your choice. The vinegar will eat all the rust and pretty much all the paint

I did this to a few parts before I got a sandblaster