Removing dash to replace evaporator, how to drop steering column?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Regret not pulling out the steering column like @east302 suggested in his writeup. It's so close, but I think I'm going to end up pulling it to make the re-install easier.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it fights you the whole time. Much easier to just pull it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I never had to pull mine, but would have made my life easier for sure.

But yes, you will have to pull the cluster out because there are, IIRC, 4 10MM bolts that have to be removed and a few rivots. I think that thread explained everything you need lol. :p :D

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never had to pull mine, but would have made my life easier for sure.

But yes, you will have to pull the cluster out because there are, IIRC, 4 10MM bolts that have to be removed and a few rivots. I think that thread explained everything you need lol. :p :D

I'm going with @east302's approach and pushing the wiring into the truck through the firewall. Not sure if the later trucks removed the rivets, but I didn't see them behind my cluster, and also didn't have to remove any to get the knee deflector off.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Someone must have done a dash swap or edit before you then, because my truck and the truck I pulled my dash from had rivots in both locations.

Albert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to thread jack im kinda in the same position had to replace condenser if course lines wouldn't break loose. So I replace the ac lines coming from condenser the bottom fitting going to evaporator is there a special wrench u can buy to get the bottom fitting off? I would hate to tear dash apart if I can break the fitting loose an the spot that it's in a perfect place for it lol

You must be registered for see images attach

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No special tool..... but a pair of line wrenches would be better then a couple box wrenches or adjustables...lol..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Albert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Line wrenches? Not sure what that is all I have are adjustable an open end wrenches lol I'm scared to death to crank on it.

No special tool..... but a pair of line wrenches would be better then a couple box wrenches or adjustables...lol..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk