Removing cats on 98 5.7l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
As soon as 1990GMCSIERRA get's me a video of his exhaust :lol: I'll be doing dumped flowmaster 10s (if I like the sound). As well as removing the cats, someone said you can take them to scrap yards and get some $$ from them. Woopee.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
They are definitely easier to get, that's for true, but that 2nd baffle might drastically quiet my truck down when dumped don't you think? Stock engine. Is yours a SI/DO?

mines SI/DO 2.25 In, Dual 2.00 Out, with 45's and tips (Sorta Dumped), It was so loud when dumped that i had to add the tips...

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Would you say a SI/DO would be louder than 2 SI/SO's on my 5.7 vortec? already has true duals from factory.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Would you say a SI/DO would be louder than 2 SI/SO's on my 5.7 vortec? already has true duals from factory.

Probably about the same, i bet you would be VERY surprised how loud dumped 10's would be, i bet Super 40's would be a better compromise.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Probably about the same, i bet you would be VERY surprised how loud dumped 10's would be, i bet Super 40's would be a better compromise.

I had my everything stock up until that 3 bolt flange and dumped glasspacks, and it was way to quiet. You probably know what my set up is now, but in case you don't this is what it is.

Engine > 2 pipes > each with stock cat > 2 pipes go back to the last o2 sensor (which is after the 3 bolt flange) > dumped true duals basically, right under cab.

It's not THAT loud, how would putting a flow 10 on each pipe and dumping that be any louder?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I had my everything stock up until that 3 bolt flange and dumped glasspacks, and it was way to quiet. You probably know what my set up is now, but in case you don't this is what it is.

Engine > 2 pipes > each with stock cat > 2 pipes go back to the last o2 sensor (which is after the 3 bolt flange) > dumped true duals basically, right under cab.

It's not THAT loud, how would putting a flow 10 on each pipe and dumping that be any louder?

No headers? And im not sure...

My setup.

Flowtech Shorty Headers
4.3L Y-Pipe
36" of 2.25 pipe
Flowmadter SIDO
Dual 2" 45's
Tips.

its a temporary setup, in the spring its getting all redone. but the reason its so loud is the the muffler is RIGHT under the passenger.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
No headers? And im not sure...

My setup.

Flowtech Shorty Headers
4.3L Y-Pipe
36" of 2.25 pipe
Flowmadter SIDO
Dual 2" 45's
Tips.

its a temporary setup, in the spring its getting all redone. but the reason its so loud is the the muffler is RIGHT under the passenger.

Lol, I have manifolds. I'll probably just end up doing true duals out the back and keep it simple and legal, with stainless tips. I hate the engine light being on.

Scheidsride

Reaction score
Easy fix.. Buy some shorty headers.. The first two sensors won't be a bother.. Drop your cats an if you have two sensors after cats or one .. You can buy o2 sensor simulators.. 42 bucks a piece.. They plug into factory o2 connectors and zip tie to harness .. Make sure the county your in don't so emissions .. More power.. Better sound.. Afterthoughtsauto.com for the simulators.. Jegs or summit for the headers..