Relocating expansion tank on bagged trucks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any of you guys have pics of your relocated coolant expansion tanks. I have two different ones ...one that was originally on it and one that came with the 93 cab. The 93 one is kinda tall and skinnier and looks like it will fit on the drivers side fender just in front of the tire. Anyone see any problems with this? The hose will have to be about a foot and a half longer to reach. I don't think the height of where I mount it matters as long as the rad cap is the highest point.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I don't think the height of where I mount it matters as long as the rad cap is the highest point.

Do you not have one mounted anymore? The overflow bottle should be higher. The full hot line is probably about even with the cap.

04silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No I have no inner fenders anymore and don't have the truck on the road yet. Guess I should have stated that my truck is on air ride and bodydropped on 20" wheels...so not a whole lot of room left.

So the cap should roughly be even where the hot line is? I looked at some pics of stock location but just didn't seem like it was mounted that high.

Reaction score
A couple people on here have the aluminum overflow/catch can.. you can get em for like $30 and up on EBay.. I just moved mine in front of drivers tire. I don't have trailer fenders anymore tho..

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am also running the aluminum catch can, the largest one I could find, it works great for me, mine is mounted to the core support right beside the rad.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
IIRC, the catch can location is irrelevant. The tube from the rad to the can is already at the highest point.

You must be registered for see images attach

I've seen the ones that Draggin & Nightmare use on lotsa different vehicles. They also come in various sizes.
Here's some Hot Rodder solutions. These guys will re-purpose damn near anything!

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images attach

04silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have two factory ones so I was going to try and use those.

Hey Bill ..Does your setup still allow the vacuum to suck the antifreeze back into the radiator when it cools back down? I've looked at that eBay type numerous times but decided to stick with the factory stuff since I pretty much have or had two of everything...lol

Reaction score
Oh, I don't have the aluminum can myself.. I said a few people on here do.
I put the factory one on my drivers side core support. I was able to splice the factory hose and extend it with some extra air line I had.. I used the air line cause it's more rigid and fits into the factory clips on top the fan shroud. Working fine so far..lol