Reconditioning a Old Work Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just posted in the Introduction Thread and Ive made my way over here to share the recondition of my truck. Its a 1998 GMC C1500 WT. I just bought it this past Saturday from a guy that worked at the Harley Davidson factory in York, PA. He bought it new. Bought it off Craigslist. Ya, it has a little bit of rust but nothing major. Drove it home (230 miles) and this is what I had...

You must be registered for see images attach

It was pretty filthy inside and out.

Broke out the pressure washer and got to work

Just like any old work truck, its nasty inside too

With the help of some Magic Erasers and Chemical Guys InnerClean. The interior came back to life

Now, doing this for a living I know that the next stage in this process is going to be very time consuming.
First things first. I wanted to wetsand and buff the headlights and taillights. Lazy me didnt want to take the headlights off but you'll see further down that I did that hahaha

Reaction score
Giving the truck a once over before a deep clean. The detailers that are reading this are about to hate me but I used TurtleWax MAX Power to wash the truck and hell yes, I put a lot in my Foam Blaster. I wanted to strip off any old wax and tree sap (there was a lot of that, didnt take it off BTW) I took the centers and beauty rings off the wheels and did a quick respray

Now the fun part, clay bar. This trucks paint was nasty. Had very little shine to it. In this picture, the left side of the hood wasn't clayed and the right side was. I had to use a heavy and medium clay.

I didn't take and pictures but I ended up using Goof Off to get all the sap off.

Here is what one section of the roof looked like after a heavy clay

A few hours into the job, I managed to get the truck fully clayed and polished with Chemical Guys V36 and V38 (Yellow and Orange Cutting Pad)

9 hours after starting. I finished the truck. Topping it all off with Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax and Jet Seal.

On the personal side, my friends and I are in a group chat and a few of us are detailers and to bust my chops they sent me pictures of their headlight restorations. I refused to be Big Dicked. Took the headlights and turn signals off. Wetsanded them with 800, 1000, and 1500 grit. Buffed with V36, sealed with Jet Seal

Thanks guys for checking out the thread. There's more to come with this truck. Lowering, taking the trim off, bucket seats, the works!

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just posted in the Introduction Thread and Ive made my way over here to share the recondition of my truck. Its a 1998 GMC C1500 WT. I just bought it this past Saturday from a guy that worked at the Harley Davidson factory in York, PA. He bought it new. Bought it off Craigslist. Ya, it has a little bit of rust but nothing major. Drove it home (230 miles) and this is what I had...

It was pretty filthy inside and out.

Broke out the pressure washer and got to work

Just like any old work truck, its nasty inside too

With the help of some Magic Erasers and Chemical Guys InnerClean. The interior came back to life

Now, doing this for a living I know that the next stage in this process is going to be very time consuming.
First things first. I wanted to wetsand and buff the headlights and taillights. Lazy me didnt want to take the headlights off but you'll see further down that I did that hahaha

Next time your in Cincinnati stop by. And bring your buffer. Thanks

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truly great work. Just goes to show that removing all the dirt, grime, gringe, etc., makes a helluva difference. Not rocket science, just hard work.

Well done.

Reaction score
Truly great work. Just goes to show that removing all the dirt, grime, gringe, etc., makes a helluva difference. Not rocket science, just hard work.

Well done.
Thanks. When I first started I thought it was hard but now its second nature. Once I started seeing the truck come back to life, I started to rush just to get it done because I was so excited that it looked that good