Recommended Exhaust for Vortec 454??

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by udownwitkj, Dec 3, 2016.

1. udownwitkj

udownwitkj Newbie

Just picked up a 1997 Suburban 2500. I will be using it to tow a trailer full of ATV's and also my two b-bodies to out of town shows, one at a time of course. Like most people, i like to mod my vehicles. Im looking for opinions on an exhaust setup. one muffler, dual mufflers, 3 or 3.5" pipe, X-pipe... Im just getting into the research phase and have not seen much so far. Will modding exhaust help or hurt fuel economy? doesn't matter but if it helped, that would be a plus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jorge6.5 likes this.
  2. RatPwrd72

RatPwrd72 Newbie

Following along to see what everyone recommends. I've got a 96 dually with the stock exhaust on it and need to do the same. Not looking for loud at all, just a little more than stock and maybe some power improvements. I've looked at the Gibson cat back with mixed reviews.

3. 4L80

4L80 Newbie

I put the Gibson catback single pipe on my 93 K2500 reg cab 5.7 about 4 years ago. Nice gentle rumble, easy install, but at the time, I believe they were made for a K1500, so I had to get the muffler shop to put a little extra bend in a short piece of midpipe. Another positive is it's all stainless so hopefully it never has to be done again from the cat back.

4. mutanay

mutanay Newbie

Before i went to straight pipes, i had a Flowmaster 40 dual muffler. It had one of the nicest tones for the ear. It is not obnoxiously loud like straight pipes and it is a trusted brand in my opinion. If you want the nicest tone get a flowmaster

5. michael hurd

michael hurd Stalker be gone.

With an 80% VE, 454 cubic inches, and a power peak at 5000 RPM, you would require a combined flow of about 525 CFM through your exhaust. You can use a single muffler if it exceeds that flow requirement, or if duals, combined 525+CFM if you want low restriction.

Single 2 3/4 to 3" would be sufficient, or dual 2 1/2" would flow more than a single 2 3/4 or 3".