rebuilding the front end on my 98 Tahoe 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the average cost that a shop would charge for a job like this? Just curious considering my shop charged me $650 in labor not including the $90 front end alignment.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I have no clue what the book time on it is... I just did my truck not long ago.. it was a pain in the butt even with a ball joint press. I am in the salt belt as well. Cleaned and painted stuff as I was going, so it took me the better part of 2 days 6-8 hours a day to do that. Of course, I also had to have one side all put back together in order to drive out of the shop.

I did not change lower control arm bushings... might look into that later on this year, if I am energetic.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
both my 2wd and 4wd steering boxes have over 200k miles and are still tight and smooth. Personally, I'd wait till it went bad since its not so bad to change. Otherwise, I've yet to see any reman box that wasnt done well. A-1 Cardone is a good company for rebuilt parts.

x2

I dont got 200k but im close, I did the same thing and mooged the hell outta the front end and my truck steers and rides wonderful now, I was thinking steering box swap too, but after i replaced everything else, I changed my mind.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My trucks rides like a million dollars now. I lowered the front end a bit from where I once had it and then got an alignment and all is great. Next mod will be new shocks. Highly suggest this front end upgrade to anyone with moderate to high wear on their rigs.

Sent from my piece of crap iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It cost me $600 in labor though and that was mostly because all the bushings were replaced.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't change anything from the list. Either go with Moog or Raybestos parts. Don't settle for the junk that the local parts store sells unless you don't plan on keeping your truck for a while.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just came across this thread as I am now taking my front end apart. I'm opting to do it myself because my 97 ecsb was extemely worn out. The dealership quoted me right at $2,400.00 for parts & labor for all the things listed by OP.
Never done this kinda work, but I'm enjoying it.
Got the passenger side completely taken apart. Just want everything back to pretty much stock.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach