Rear speakers not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
only the front components run off the factory amp (someone correct me).

I don't think the two door Tahoes even had a factory amp, but I could be wrong. I know in the Suburbans it's only the middle set of speakers (in the rear doors) that run off the factory amp. Front components and rear roof speakers are run directly off the head unit.

Honestly, 4x10 is a waste of space for audio , in my opinion. It is a wasted of wattage running away from your head unit. There are maybe 2 or 3 brands that carry a 4x10, and none of it is any good. I pulled mind, went with a set of 6.5 focal components in the doors, and mounted my rear pair to the b pillar behind the seats. Perfection.

4x10s are no worse than a 6x9 inherently. They're not the best speaker size out there, but calling them a waste of space and wattage is a little ridiculous. They're definitely less available due to being implemented in vehicles so rarely, but there are some good options out there. Those Kickers I linked above for example.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think the two door Tahoes even had a factory amp, but I could be wrong. I know in the Suburbans it's only the middle set of speakers (in the rear doors) that run off the factory amp. Front components and rear roof speakers are run directly off the head unit.

Looking at the wiring diagram, that is right--only the front doors and rear roof are from the head unit.

The connector in mine has the pink wire that the diagram "says" is to the amplifier relay...it looks like the previous owner tapped it for power. But unless I'm blind, I don't have any middle speakers. Surely, GM wouldn't put an amp in a vehicle and not have any speakers running off of it.

Where would the amp be?

Thanks for the link on the 4x10s, I'll take a look at those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looking at the wiring diagram, that is right--only the front doors and rear roof are from the head unit.

The connector in mine has the pink wire that the diagram "says" is to the amplifier relay...it looks like the previous owner tapped it for power. But unless I'm blind, I don't have any middle speakers. Surely, GM wouldn't put an amp in a vehicle and not have any speakers running off of it.

Where would the amp be?

Thanks for the link on the 4x10s, I'll take a look at those.

You're welcome!

Considering the circumstances, my guess would be that you have no factory amp, and the PO simply used the wire for it in the harness to run the remote turn on lead for whatever amp he had in the back. I'm with you, I doubt that the amp is there. But it also wouldn't surprise me if the harness was still wired for it.

EDIT - Found another thread where someone says this in regards to the factory amp location in a '98 Suburban.

In my 98 Sub, the amp was under the dash just to the right side of the steering column. I think it's aluminum, but it's about 2.5in square by about 6in long with the length going up into the dash and the wiring connection looking down at the floor.

Last edited:

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I bought some MB Quart speakers but they won't align correct to use the screws to hold them down so stay away from them.

I thought they would sound better than some MA Audio speakers I have on my truck but they don't oh these speakers I bought come from Japan the Germany plant closed down.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I may borrow the thread, I also removed the rear (roof) speakers on my 4-door Tahoe LT with factory audio system.
One of the 4x10 speakers had crackling noises (yes I checked, it's the speaker, not the wiring).
I just removed them and would like to have some new roof speakers. Can 4x6" speakers be used?
It's hard to get 4x10 inch oval speakers, especially here in Europe. Can I use ordinary round speakers and which size would be the most appropriate?

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you looked under the rear seat for evidence of a missing amp? The rear speaker wires into the converter he installed may have gone out of the converter to an amp for rear speakers only or he may have had big speakers in the rear and used the old wires to them. You need to see try a test speaker first and if still nothing check the wires for continuety from front to rear.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you looked under the rear seat for evidence of a missing amp? The rear speaker wires into the converter he installed may have gone out of the converter to an amp for rear speakers only or he may have had big speakers in the rear and used the old wires to them. You need to see try a test speaker first and if still nothing check the wires for continuety from front to rear.

There is a speaker wire running to the back under the carpet, so they must have had something back there but I didn’t see any other traces of it. I didn’t think of testing for continuity in the factory wiring, will have to take a look.

There was no continuity when testing at the speaker terminals. I keep meaning to grab a replacement set of speakers...something else always seems to come up first though. Thanks for the suggestion.