Rear speakers not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck is a 1998 two door Tahoe with the two roof mounted speakers in the back.

They aren't working.

The previous owner must have had an amp or something in the back, so I'm trying to figure out how to undo what he did.

He tapped into the rear speaker feed and return lines at the radio and ran them through a line converter. He didn't cut the factory wires, just spliced into them.

He also tapped into a pink wire at the radio with a blue wire. From the line converter, he ran two speaker wires to the back. The blue wire goes along with them.

The pink wire at the radio is labeled "radio on signal" which looks like it switches the factory power amplifier relay.

You must be registered for see images attach

So how do I undo this and get sound back to the rear speakers? Just take out his splices and reseal the factory wires?

The rear speakers are still there and connected, so it doesn't look like he disrupted the wiring up in the headliner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrAdam

Reaction score
If he tapped into them and they are still connected to the back then they should work, only the front components run off the factory amp (someone correct me). So I would question if the rear over head speakers are any good, test with a known good speaker.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, it didn't occur to me that they'd both be bad. I figured I would hear at least something from them.

I checked the resistance at each speaker, both were infinite so I guess they're bad.

MrAdam

Reaction score
Considering the half ass sub install they did I am guessing they ran the hell out of the entire system.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, the previous owner had let his son take it to college for a few years, so there's no telling.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Those roof speakers failed on my old 2 door, too. I don't think they were very good to begin with, and I never abused the system. They weren't blown up, but the tinsel leads going from the connector to the cone kept fraying and touching the chassis of the speaker itself and shorting out the factory head unit. Didn't know this at first, I bought a new head unit thinking the old one quit. Turned on the new radio and it kept temporarily killing the output until I figured it out. Tried fixing the leads with solder, first...They just continued to unravel further down until one side fatigued and fell off at the cone. New speakers fixed 'em for good!

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I'd have to agree on the fact they are probably just bad, just unplugging the black and red rcas should be fine, won't hurt anything, to just leave it, in all honesty you probably wouldn't really want them anyway I don't believe they are amped and rear speakers never really seem to stage right, to me anyways.. just had this same issue with my bimmer dd actually, added a German upgrade that's supposed to be top of the line, was kinda disappointed, took out the back speakers and was shocked at the difference, they really muddied it down..

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly, I didn't even notice that they weren't working until I happened to check.

There aren't a lot of choices for 4x10s, I see that a lot of people don't even bother with replacing them.

Lakerat

Reaction score
Honestly, 4x10 is a waste of space for audio , in my opinion. It is a wasted of wattage running away from your head unit. There are maybe 2 or 3 brands that carry a 4x10, and none of it is any good. I pulled mind, went with a set of 6.5 focal components in the doors, and mounted my rear pair to the b pillar behind the seats. Perfection.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, I didn't even notice that they weren't working until I happened to check.

There aren't a lot of choices for 4x10s, I see that a lot of people don't even bother with replacing them.

I always recommend these Kickers for nice reliable 4x10s. Most of the other available options have weak foam surrounds, these are actual rubber. I have a set in the roof of my Suburban and they sound great.

https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-KSC41004-KSC4100-Speakers-tweeters/dp/B01NBT3TZY