rear axles bracket placement and pinion angle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Alright, as lots of you know, i lowered my truck, i used belltech flip kit for the back. I also have drop shackles with it so i lowered it a total of 7 inches in the back. my fuel gauge wasnt working, so i took the box of to replug the wire inside the gastank in... i then was having a look at my rear axle to to make sure everything is still good after the few rides.

Im glad i did! the u brackets (i guess ill call them, they go between the leafs springs and the axle) have slid and the back of the braket bent in, and got the axle to spin. Making the pinion pointing up, the drie shaft rubbing on the frame cross member when the suspension goes up. also making the driveshaft bolts and ujoint bolts hit. anyhow, on to the question

ive decided i waant to clean up my read axle, i want to weld the brackets to the bottom of the axle, and probabably weld the shock brackets too. Does any one know the angle the pinion should be? or the mesurements of were the "u" brackets have to be? Also, can i weld the axle without taking it all apart and keeping the oil inside of it?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would like to see a pic of where the belltech saddle's bent, if you can take one. Thank's

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Here you go! the bent side is the back:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
i checked them after words and they were all tight. its odd, like it tisted aroung on the axle. i straighten them again, put them back... and looking between the original leaf bracket that the top of the "u" sits in... and its like the "u" is to high, so the axlt sits loose. Id have to cut maybe 1/4 of an inch to make it sit right. Me having a heavy foot and would like to be able to drag race this truck if i want... im just going to go ahead and weld it before it tistes again and i ruin something ..

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I would cut them down slightly and make them fit tight, and weld them to the axle like you already said!

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes you can, I have several times, just grind the axle tube and get nice and clean, and don't weld it all at once, weld it some let it cool and then come back and weld it some more.