RCX install and other ?'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_blood

Reaction score
Well i am debating between getting an RCX and a Cepek lift... seems like the cepek is the better lift but a big factor for me is going to be the install. how much harder is the cepek to install than the RCX? im probablly going to have to do it in a driveway but tools shouldnt be an issue. as for the other ?'s

Will i need a longer driveshaft for either one?
Are dual shocks necesarry? worth the money $299? (cepek)
Is the RCX pretty functional or more for looks?
Can i fit 35/12.50's under the RCX with little or no crank w/o rubbing?

Here in a few months (when i get back to the states) ill start posting pics of upgrades i make :)

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Both kits can be installed in your driveway. I have a buddy who put a cepek on his 93 in 7 hours by himself.
No matter what if you get a 6 inch rcx you will be cranking because it is really a 5 inch drop kit while the cepek lift is a true 6.5 inch drop, which is why most people choose this when trying to fit huge tires.
They rcx is a decent kit for it's price and sounds like it can get the job done for what you want it for(I'm assuming you are just trying to get 35s on it the right way).
The drive shaft will not have to be lengthened but if you have autotrac then you will need a new front drive shaft due to vibrations.
Dual shocks are really pretty useless and only stiffen the ride due to valving and what not and if you just want the look of the dual shocks get one good shock then pretty much drill a hole in the chamber of the second shock so it isn't functional but is still there looking cool. or whatever it is you want.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's the stage 2 kit I beleive that has the dual shocks, I'm pretty sure you can get singles and save cash. I'd do the cepek if you had the cash for it.

Ask sully about his recent rcx install, might make you think twice.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
The stage two kit is basically the same as the stage 1 but it has impact struts which most people don't need. The dual shocks is an option on either the stage 1 or the stage 2. If you go cepek get the stage 1.
Do not bash all of rcx just because one guy on some forum had a rough install with it it is a very capable kit and can handle most of what everybody needs it for.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i might be wrong but i believe sully's problems were all with the original equipment not the lift

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No pm him and ask him about the kit, I did. he had issues with fitment on the kit and quantity and qulaity of it.

I know that just because one person had bad luck doesn't mean everyone does and I wasn't bashing on anything. I was telling the guy if he wants opinions from somebody who has the kit and has it installed to ask, he just done it, he's very fresh with the install aspect.

As far as the kit holding up and doing what ppl want, which is to lift the truck, any lift out there as far as I know will get that done. As far as ease of installation ask guys who have done it like sully.

Kable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im trying to decide on the same. Leaning towards the dc mainly cause i don't want to crank a bunch.

the dc is 6.5 with no crank?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that's what I've heard, and the rcx is a 4 or 5 inch kit I've heard both and the rest is crank.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
im trying to decide on the same. Leaning towards the dc mainly cause i don't want to crank a bunch.

the dc is 6.5 with no crank?

That is exactly right. You can get 8 inches out of the kit and still have decent angles on your front end.

that's what I've heard, and the rcx is a 4 or 5 inch kit I've heard both and the rest is crank.

5 inch is exactly correct for the amount of drop the rcx gives.