Rasp sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kssilverado

Reaction score
Never done much exhaust work besides run straight pipes haha. I'm wondering how I can get that raspy doing like you hear out of the camaros and Trans ams on my 96 Silverado. Is it in the flat tips or muffler choice? Any input would be great. Thanks!

Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Running a straight pipe instead of a muffler will give that rasp your talking about. Will also crackle

Jacob

Reaction score
Mine has the raspy sound without the cat and just a stock style muffler and tail pipe. That is just at idle though and it isn't to terribly loud. I haven't heard what it sounds like when I am not in the vehicle.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My exhaust is a bit raspey under WOT, but nice and deep while under 4k rpms. Not excessively loud when babying the throttle. Which means I can come home late at night from the ole lady's and my neighbors dont know ;)

I have:
Fullsize straight-throughs offset inlet, center exit. I forgot the brand.
Catless
No Xover (source of the raspiness)

2.5" piping from the headers back

I can get an exhaust clip for you tomorrow if you want. My only complaint is its a bit droney at highway speeds.

kssilverado

Reaction score
My exhaust is a bit raspey under WOT, but nice and deep while under 4k rpms. Not excessively loud when babying the throttle. Which means I can come home late at night from the ole lady's and my neighbors dont know ;)

I have:
Fullsize straight-throughs offset inlet, center exit. I forgot the brand.
Catless
No Xover (source of the raspiness)

2.5" piping from the headers back

I can get an exhaust clip for you tomorrow if you want. My only complaint is its a bit droney at highway speeds.
That would be sweet if you could. I'm not looking for a lot of rasp, just a little something. Hard to explain the sound I want.. I just know it when I hear it haha

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Rasp, as its uniformly understood, is never appreciated nor wanted by anyone I know (online or otherwise).
I think you may be referring to the hollow, metallic, sharp sound of straight pipes and headers. H pipes for more of a cut/lumpy note, X for a smoother consistent note.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here you go brother

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kssilverado

Reaction score
Rasp, as its uniformly understood, is never appreciated nor wanted by anyone I know (online or otherwise).
I think you may be referring to the hollow, metallic, sharp sound of straight pipes and headers. H pipes for more of a cut/lumpy note, X for a smoother consistent note.

Yea I think you're right. I need to just get some headers and then redo my exhaust. It's too droney right now and I want more of a sharp sound

Here you go brother

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hell yeah, that sounds good!