Rag Joint Eliminator for 96+?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mik3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 97, so I can't use the XJ shaft. But I was wondering, has anyone found a u-joint conversion kit or an entire replacement shaft with only one u-joint for the box to get rid of the rag joint?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that link is for the xj shaft and he just said he has a 97 and the xj shaft won't work for it LOL.

70stroker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can use a column or intermediate shaft out of a hot rod. jegs, summit and hipo shop has them.

Mik3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't want to go with a clever way to make the XJ work. I don't want 3 u joints to possibly bind, because nobody has tested firewall bearings on these trucks and I'm not going to put my life and my families life in danger doing it. I'm just looking for a shaft like the stock, with the rag joint.. but with a u-joint. There has to be one made that will bolt in place of the stock one but with only one u joint for the steering gear.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Last edited:

GMjake

Reaction score
has anyone with a 98 done the flaming river mod the more research i do the more i question myself this person says it will work the next says it will bind i want to know if someone deffinitly knows it works or not

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
has anyone with a 98 done the flaming river mod the more research i do the more i question myself this person says it will work the next says it will bind i want to know if someone deffinitly knows it works or not
I haven't. I plan to buy a new shaft with u joints on both ends when I replace mine. Derek Michael in the GM Obs Crewcabs group on FB makes them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I have a flaming river u-joint on my 93, easy to install but it is a perminent modification to the steering shaft and does crush the shaft easily when your torquing down those set screws. Well worth it though!!!