Radius arm/coil SAS stability problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is a 2wd frame gents.
And that’s exactly what I had done.
Followed the seam. And removed the lower mounts. Wear your gear guys... I don’t care WHAT method you use, it’s a molten metal shower. Leathers long sleeves pants shields Saftey glasses the whole 9.
I had a cross member for the front leaf springs on mine. And I felt that added enough rigidity
Now that I went coils I plan on removing that but I will add some box tube inside the horns behind the bumper for Strength.. I can’t remember EXACTLY who did I it but I wanna say 88GMC did a box tube with recovery shackles behind his “bumper valance” I’ll be mirroring tht

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
That's what it looks like. And yeah, it's for the steering and track bar. That's the same way Off Road Unlimited tells you to cut in there 2wd SAS kit .

Something along the lines of follow the weld line all the way across the cross member and cut the lower link mounts off.

I just wanted to see it done and know if there seems to be any I'll effects from doing so. But it doesn't seem like it .

Only thing I might do is cut some plate and box that crossmember after I cut it off. Seems like it’s lacking in strength. I didn’t even know someone had a 2wd sas kit?

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
I'll second @Eskimomann209 with regards to PPE, I've done the whole cut/grind/cut/weld/grind/grind some more on my truck when I did my sas. Don't be a hero or try to be cool. Where the right stuff correctly.

...And a face shield, holy mother of baby Jesus are they a wonderful thing

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
All in agreement, I'm cutting, welding, torching, and grinding on a regular basis for work. PPE is a must have.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Only thing I might do is cut some plate and box that crossmember after I cut it off. Seems like it’s lacking in strength. I didn’t even know someone had a 2wd sas kit?

Yeah, boxing in would be good but you'd have to watch the steering and track bar because I know in the oru kit you have to make room for the steering and track bar by massaging the lower cross member to make room after the cut .

Here's the kits and you can get the pdfs for the install and see the areas needed to be cut .

https://www.offroadunlimited.com/orustore/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=18

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
Yeah, boxing in would be good but you'd have to watch the steering and track bar because I know in the oru kit you have to make room for the steering and track bar by massaging the lower cross member to make room after the cut .

Here's the kits and you can get the pdfs for the install and see the areas needed to be cut .

Those are for 1500 trucks, I’m sure they could be used on a 2500 frame but different in some places and beefier. They shouldent be that much different. Still good info, thanks!

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Exactly
Unless you want massive lift, you cannot box it in
You can add 1/4 tube in front of it to create a new point that ties the horns together... but if you want it relatively low you can’t plate it
But then again I’m sure there is SOMEONE out there who found a way

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
Exactly
Unless you want massive lift, you cannot box it in
You can add 1/4 tube in front of it to create a new point that ties the horns together... but if you want it relatively low you can’t plate it
But then again I’m sure there is SOMEONE out there who found a way

I am the hardheaded bloke that will find a way haha. At the moment entertaining the idea of a bent shape steering link and panhard like the factory ford peice to move it out of the way. In all reality that is probably a better idea to add a tube in front or behind, or possibly add a crossmember near the front of the frame like allot of sas kits do.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
I'm tossing around the idea of completely deleting the cross member and doing motor mounts like the 4x4's have just on the frame sides and then adding a tube up front for support or adding a removable tube between the motor mounts when I do the SAS. Just an idea I have, would make running the steering and track bar easier.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's something I've thought abt, deleting that entire front cross member, if I actually decide to SAS my 94. Then fabbing up custom cross member with the engine mounts with enough room for all the steering and suspension linkage.